Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 B5.5 1.8t with 37k. Recently I've had a small blue cloud of exhaust on about every 10th cold startup - no smoke at other times, and it's not using oil. Seems to run fine, with no CEL's lately (had them earlier when a coil pack failed). I can't find any pattern.

I've changed the oil myself every 5k, I haven't chipped it, and I use Mobil 1 or Rotella T 5w40 synthetic.

I'm concerned that this might be a valve guide that was cooked due to sludge. Any ideas?

ml

·
Registered
261 Posts
Blue smoke=burning oil ie blow by on rings
White smoke=burning water ie cracked head
Black smoke(usually at WOT)=burning built up carbon deposits

could also be condensed oil vapor since crankcase fumes are dumped back into the intake.

·
Registered
352 Posts
if ur at 37k, arent yo still under factory warranty??
if so id have those [email protected]#holes check it out.
but i think it should be fine, like afterburner said, alot of oil goes into the combustion chamber via intake manifold, the b5's have a very wet(of oil) pcv system that dumps the pcv fumes(including oil) into the turbo.

i've had that happen to me before. but if you are under warranty, have them check it out, those dumbass dealers might give you a new motor or something! (LOL)!!

i recently called to get a price on the pcv valve that goes on the intake hose, and the retards told me "well the passats dont have a pcv system and therefore dont have a pcv valve", and therefore i would have to get a part # to get the part that i am looking for!!! LOL!!!!!! i thought that was funny... oh well... nevermind.... :roll:

hope this helps, laters.........

ALfredo

·
Registered
732 Posts
ce560Mike: Do an application of Auto-Rx. It'll clean your ringpacks out and clean and reseat your seals.

I used to get a bit of blue smoke on startup occasionally and since cleaning with Auto-Rx that totally went away and my oil consumption went to zero over the length of an oil change!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did check the plugs and they're fine (no oil fouling or differences in carbon or color). I do plan to take it to the dealer but all the mechanics in the St. Louis area are on strike! (at least at the dealers).

I may try Auto-Rx if I can't get something through the dealer. I find the Auto-Rx info interesting but I'll admit that I'd like to get better data from them, beyond testimonials.

Guess I'm concerned about valve guides and seals since, if they got oil-starved and hot in the past, there may be other problems later.

·
Registered
732 Posts
ce560Mike: Re: Auto-Rx. The functionality and safety of the product is indisputable. ClubB5's own resident tribologist and moderator (AtomicAlex) gives it a hearty thumbs up, BobistheOilGuy.com has many, many threads including professional tribologists, all very thumbs up. See this thread there: Auto-Rx independent user test

Terry Dyson of Dyson Labs (Used Oil Analysis) gives it and only one other oil product a hearty thumbs up. Use it as directed. If it fixes your blue smoke issue, you can forget about your concerns about the valve guides, seals, etc.

Do NOT use anything the dealer gets you for a flush. Do not use a quickie flush available locally. Use Auto-Rx.... please!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Technically shouldn't be an issue in an engine with only 37K on it, but tradionally blue smoke only on engiine starting is caused by a bad valve seal or seals. Not being totally familiar with Passat engines and their management systems it well could be that this be considered in addition to some of the other suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
raceral said:
Technically shouldn't be an issue in an engine with only 37K on it, but tradionally blue smoke only on engiine starting is caused by a bad valve seal or seals. Not being totally familiar with Passat engines and their management systems it well could be that this be considered in addition to some of the other suggestions.
Yeah, that's my traditional read, too.

I fly aircraft with turbochargers and they usually have seal leaks on shutdown that are obvious (when the seals are hot) and they produce lots of smoke.

Have valve guides or seals been a problem with Passats? I had a '98 that ran to 100k without any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.