Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving today and I heard a very Big thump in the rear of my car. Pulled over to see if I ran over something or if someone threw something at me (cuz that what it sounded like, if I got in a minor accident). Couldn't find anything.

I then realized but didn't notice until I got home but both of my rear speakers blew up, no sound whatsoever is coming out. Only the tweeters are working.

This really sucks, I have a 2002 with the monsoon option for my car and I have the stock HU. I only had the volume on halfway, and suddenly I heard that loud Thump sound.

Now I was thinking of getting component speakers 6 1/2 or just regular 5 1/4 speakers.

I have around 500 dollars to spend.

The components i want is this
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jIvLMcfwnLy/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=107DB6500&id=morephotos&a=1&s=0&cc=01&g=76400#morephotos

or

for speakers should I get
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jIvLMcfwnLy/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158XS1335&id=morephotos&a=1&s=0&cc=01&g=51800#morephotos

I am not really system savvy so can you guys help me decide (I AM A NEWBIE to this area). Will my monsoon Amp be able to handle either of these systems???

COMMENTS and SUGGESTIONS PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Sounds like your problem might be the monsoon amp and not the speakers...

I would def. use an aftermarket amp if you replace the speakers. One prob. is that the monsoon amp does the crossover for the stock speakers, and that crossover point will almost always need to be different for aftermarket speakers. Also, the monsoon rear speakers are 2 ohm instead of the standard (for car audio) 4 ohm. Most people are running components up front and coaxials in the back to keep the sound stage decent. I would also replace the stock HU if you're going to replace the speakers. You'll prob. notice as much of a difference replacing the HU as the speakers. You should be able to do a decent upgrade of your whole setup for your budget if you shop around.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Here's the dilly.. The Monsoon setup uses four mid-base drivers and 4 tweeters running through a crossover/amp in the trunk. 3 or 4 Way component speakers will sound terrible because of the way the Monsoon crossover distributes power!! You have to match Monsoon's Frequency and power range when replacing the stock VW speakers. Soundguybob hit the nail on the head about the 2 Ohm rear speakers. The only component sets I've found that sound good with the Monsoon setup are JLAudio's XR650Csi's. Kicker has a good Mid-Bass Driver called the R6C, that produces quality sound as well.

I replaced my stock speakers with the JL's and the system sounds great. Crutchfield isn't a good information source because if you went with some of their suggestions on the stock Monsoon Amp, the system would sound terrible.

I'm going to sell my JL's in a few weeks because I just ordered some Focal 165 series in the doors and having a custom box built with two JL Audio W7's. Now that my car has some miles on it, I'm dumping the Monsoon and going with an Alpine HU & Changer and JLAudio amp. My cousin just built a setup using the Focals on an R32 and it really rocked. I was once afraid to change out my stock HU but now that mess is outta there!!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yeah but it's a pain in the arse to get warranty replacements from OnlineCarStereo.com!! If you don't go through a local installer, then Crutchfield is the best alternative. Also, no Sony components work well with the Monsoon setup!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts