Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: My tire looks like it's done for. After getting home I went out to my car to get my briefcase and the tire was completely flat. I just had AAA over to put the spare on and the AAA guy said the way the damage is it was a blow out. WTF? There was no huge noise or any sudden air loss, just when I came back out about 20 mins after getting home I noticed the rim was down on the asphalt.

Is this covered under warranty? Will VW handle this or do I have to go thru the tire manufacturer? Would this type of damage mean they owe me a new tire? How does a blow out happen this way (no histronics or "big boom"?) The tires only have 14K miles on them.

:(

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Usually a blow out is caused by hitting a pothole that pinches the sidewall and causes it to weaken. You can have the tire inspected to determine if this happened. Should be able to determine if hit was a road hazard or a manufacturer's defect.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Or hitting some debris.....

I had one at 85mph otw to work one early morning near John-Wayne airport....Hear a woosh sound that I could not initially place.....then bam! Rt front tire disenegrated. I was carful to just slowly let off the gas and make my way over to the rt shoulder (had been in the #1 lane)

Tire was shredded....alloy damaged (its my spare now..holds air)

Called VW road assistance....took so long I changed it myself...was finishing up when they pulled up! :roll:

Thats was the old stock Conti's...glad they're gone long ago!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.