Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... the wifey ran over something and blew out the driver side flex pipe. My car sounds like a fart can again!!!! hehe.

Anyone out there, in NJ, can suggest a way to fix this other than replacing the whole cat? Went to the local Midas just to have it checked out but said that they could not weld on the flex pipe itself but have to replace the whole cat!
Any suggestions? I would surely, greatly appreciate it.

TIA!

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
if it is the flex call a regular muffler shop.
they will cut it out and weld a new one in.
$120 should be the area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When the flexpipe blewout on my Passat I went to a mom-n-pop shop to get mine fixed. They didnt have the correct size but could order it or attach one slightly longer, about 4 or 5 inches longer. I opted for the longer one, looked like it had more flex than the original. They cut the pipe and welded the new one in for $90 including tax.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right... all this sounds good. I knew the Midas shop was trying to swindle money out of me, bastards!

I know ECS tuning sells the pipe but what diameter should I get or should I just have the shop do it for me?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for all the input.

But another noob question... my friend told me to make sure to get the stainless one... does it really matter?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts