Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Passat World family,

I have these blemishes on the paint job on my Passat, I tried some Turtle Wax Scratch & Swirl remover but it wasn't so effective. Not sure what else I can try to remove them or if they are even removable. I wanted to see if there are any solutions to fixing this before just taking the car in to a body shop and have it repainted. Obviously saving some money would be my first choice, I attached some pictures so everyone can see what I am referring to. Any advice will be highly appreciated, thank you all in advance! Happy driving :driving:

Lexx
photo (8).jpg
image (1).jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kinda looks like the sun fried it. :( Goodkuck! Have you tried claybarring it. Dont know if that would even help, but I guess its worth a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of, but it does seem that way. I guess ill have no choice but to have the paint restored. Miami's sun is brutal on cars. I'll look into the claybarring and see if it may help. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
If it is only an oxidation layer in the clear coat, the best chance you have is to get some 1600 grit and 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and see if you can sand it off by hand without sanding through to the color coat. Don't sand it with the 1600 until it is gone, just wet sand it to a uniform dullness with the 1600 and 3000 grits respectively (the 1600 will produce a flatter, whiter dull.) and then polish it out with rubbing compound (equivalent to 1500 grit usually) and polishing compound (equivalent to 3000 grit) on a DA polishing wheel with a sponge pad. If the oxidation is removed by the first sanding steps, the polishing steps will restore the shine and deep color of the original finish. If the oxidation remains after the first two steps, the polishing will only put a very smooth, glossy appearance to the cloudy appearance in the lower layers of the finish, and your only remedy will be a respray.

Good luck with your restoration.

:wrench:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I doubt that is oxidisation, if what you tried didn't do anything then your looking at clear coat failure. Repaint is the only option.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Certainly looks as if the clearcoat is beginning to fail. You really have nothing to loose trying to buff it out, but once the clear is gone the only option is to sand repaint, so before you go at it be sure you are ready to go for the repaint if needed.
If you tried the scratch and swirl remover by hand application I doubt that would do anything. In order to get any results you are going to need to use a Dual Action Polisher with the proper pads and compounds. Not a cheap $50 polisher, something like a Porter Cable 7424. I would find a good detailer in your area and have them access the condition and if a Paint Correction is possible. If they think the correction is possible have them do it for you.
And look for a Good detailer, not a cheap on that will just take you money.
Here is a great place to learn what you need to know and get advice on paint correction. Post your pics on in this forum and you should get some really good advice. Also you can find a good detailer in your area.
Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

If paint correction is possible, no doubt your clearcoat will be much thinner after the correction, so have the detailer apply one of the new sealants to protect your remaining paint. Something like Opti-Coat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have a go with the wet and dry sand paper first and then mop it (if you call it the same as here), if it doesn't work you know you have tried all options and then you go to paint.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yea, that's clear coat peel. An aggressive compound might get it out, but all truth be told I've only had success with wet sanding, followed up by a light compound and then re-clearcoating it. It's nasty to deal with, and can look so nasty on a black car (I know this all too well).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts