Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im bleeding my brakes today, i have 2 liters or Ate Type 200 fluid and the Motive Power Bleeder all ready to go.

Do I have to jack both ends of the car up to do this, or can i jack one end up first, do the entire rear, then the front?

Also, I was looking throught the bently and I cannt find the torque specs for the bleeder screws, do i just tighten them hand tight .. if it matters i have an '02 W8

·
0 Posts
This is my version, I jack up the front not the back, then i over fill the reservoir hook up the motiv. Then i loosen all the valves and hand tighten them back, put all the valve covers in a safe place.

Now pump up the motiv and bleed in this sequence: left rear/right rear/front right/left front from farthest to closest!

Make sure you bleed until you get a nice solid flow out of the nipple, then tighten. Repeat for each corner.

Give the brakes a few pumps until the feel is correct, (never let your brake system go dry) bleed out the old fluid until the new fluid replace it in the stream. Then you know that the old fluid is flushed!

Good luck
-steve

·
0 Posts
the location puts them where i can reach them so i never jack up the rear but thats me. As we say in brooklyn "DO YOU!" :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bled my car last week and the way I did it was to first jack the rear and start bleeding the right rear then the left rear . Then I jacked the front and did the passnger and then the driver. I used a torque wrench but you can hand tighten without any problems. I hope I was of some help.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so i did it, i have four jack stands, but they are diffrent sizes, and i wasn't sure if my diying hydrolic jack could get the car high enought for the larger jack stands. this ended upworking out, but because of the suspension i had to jack the front up, take those wheels off, then jack the rear up. if the front and rear were jacked up, with the diffrent sized jack stands i couldn't get the front tires off the ground, also, if i jacked the rear first i couldn't get the jack under the front of the car.

i havn't put my entire car in the air since i did the suspension :oops:

then it was very easy to bleed the entire car with the motive power bleeder, there was no one else to help me, i did the entire job by myself.

also, my car needs an alignment because the inside of both front tires is wearing very baddly, which everyone told me would happen, but i hadn't seen uneven tire wear, even with the tires turned out, i guess im just dumb to not have been able to see this. or it has become worse since i have been driving more spiritedly with the new chip and brake pads

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was told that 20 psi is the max not to destroy your master cylander. Towards the end, when i was setting the correct fluid level in the resevoir i only used 5 psi and that fluid still came out of the left front caliper. The psi level did not move too much.

and 1 liter seemed to be enought for me, all the fluid changed from a darker greenish yellow to a clearer yellow with only 1 liter so im assuming I got all the old stuff out.

also, when the old stuff was comming out there were small black pieces of i duno what comming out with the fluid, when the fluid changed color there was no more debris in the lines.

i was told that a complete flush would use 1 liter to 1.5 liters, so i bought 2 just in case. im very confident that i got all the old stuff out, so 1 liter was enought for me.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
debris could be brake dust, metals from the pads, and who knows what else. guess i'll just start with 1 L, and add more if needed. how did you release the pressure from the motive container?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the motive container tells you never to release the pressure from the resevoir, always unscrew the top of the motive power bleeder very slowly. it took my a couple times of releaseing the pressure, seeing where the fluid level was, then repressurizing and bleeding, to get the correct end fluid level in the resevoir. Also, i dumped the entire liter into the motive power bleeder, then used the brake fluid can to hold the old fluid from the calipers. That seemed to be my best option because i wasn't sure how brake fluid would do in a plastic bottle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts