Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the HU in my '03 non-Monsoon. I'd like to maintain stock appearance so am interested in Blaupunkts, but I'd like better SQ than the Heidelberg. I'm looking at the Miami CD72 from the Skyline series. This page has a link to a picture of the unit installed in a VW:

http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/7641800310_main.asp

This unit is available for $289 from etronics.com. I'm a novice at car stereo and would appreciate help with a few questions:

1) Has anyone installed or heard this unit? Any comments? (BTW I'm not interested in mp3 or sat radio)

2) Is it safe to assume that like on other Blaupunkts, the connector on this HU will mate directly with the Passat radio connector, if I do the "pin swap" I have read about here?

3) Will the stock connector provide the illumination control function as on the OEM HU (HU lighting switching on/off with the car headlights) or will I need to run a separate wire to do this?

4) I would like to use the OEM DIN pocket with the "flocked" interior, even though its more expensive than aftermarket pockets. Where would I find the best price on the OEM pocket?

5) According to Crutchfield, the Miami ships with a "european to Motorola" antenna adapter. Is this the antenna adaptor I will need for the Passat installation? If not, what do I need? (I do want to get AM stations)

Well, that was more than a few questions. Thanks in advance for all help.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
jpsmith said:
This unit is available for $289 from etronics.com. I'm a novice at car stereo and would appreciate help with a few questions:

1) Has anyone installed or heard this unit? Any comments? (BTW I'm not interested in mp3 or sat radio)

2) Is it safe to assume that like on other Blaupunkts, the connector on this HU will mate directly with the Passat radio connector, if I do the "pin swap" I have read about here?

3) Will the stock connector provide the illumination control function as on the OEM HU (HU lighting switching on/off with the car headlights) or will I need to run a separate wire to do this?

4) I would like to use the OEM DIN pocket with the "flocked" interior, even though its more expensive than aftermarket pockets. Where would I find the best price on the OEM pocket?

5) According to Crutchfield, the Miami ships with a "european to Motorola" antenna adapter. Is this the antenna adaptor I will need for the Passat installation? If not, what do I need? (I do want to get AM stations)

Well, that was more than a few questions. Thanks in advance for all help.
1) I almost purchased this unit but went with the CD70 San Francisco. I am very pleased with the San Fran. I expect you will be very happy with the Miami.

2) On my 99 B5 the wiring was identical if you perform the pin switch. I opted to still use a wiring harness.

3) Yes, the HU should dim when you turn on your headlights.

4) Not sure what you are referring to here. I did not need any bracket to mount my stereo. It slid right in and sticks out about a 1/4 to facilitate the dropping of the face for CD access.

5) I purchased an adapter which I believe is necessary. AM Stations still work for me but I rarely listen to them.

Also some advice on your purchase, apparently Blaupunkt is having issues with unauthorized Internet sales. Check here for more info: http://www.blaupunktusa.com/warning/warning.html Not to rain on your parade, but it does not appear that Blaupunkt recognizes etronics as an authorized dealer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rpaller, thanks for the info.

The OEM HU on B5.5 is double-DIN size, so when it is replaced with an aftermarket single-DIN unit one needs to add the pocket below the HU to fill in the space. Your B5 had a single-DIN unit so you already had the pocket.

I am aware of the issue of Blaupunkt denying factory warranty coverage to purchases from non-authorized Internet dealers. What I planned to do was actually purchase from Crutchfield, an authorized dealer, then get a refund from my credit card company for the price difference to etronics. That way I can get the best of both worlds (low price + good service)

However, after my original posting I noticed that sounddomain is selling the Hamburg CD70 for $199. This unit, although a year older, looks to have about the same features and specs as the Miami, the major difference being it has a 3-band eq vs. 5-band on the Miami. Sounddomain is also an authorized Blaupunkt internet dealer so going this route would avoid the hassle of getting a refund from the CC company as well as saving some additional $$.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the miami model on crutchfield is showing up in silver instead of the black that was being shown on blaupunkt's UK website, wonder why?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I noticed that. Don't know if the top and bottom parts of the faceplate really are silver or if it's just the photography....was going to ask Crutchfield about it. I hope its just an illusion, I prefer the all-black look.

BTW, anyone know what happened to Blaupunkt and XM? I recall reading that at this year's CES they demo'd a receiver with the entire XM tuner (not just the display) integrated in it. I think it was going to be called the "America." But I see nothing about this on their website or at any retailer, and apparently they don't even offer any XM-controller HU's yet. Maybe they dropped their relationship with XM?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts