Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this posted on Vortex. I've not heard from him in close to 10 years.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I vaguely remember some of this.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Not that I need to know, just curious as to how this car get into the current owners hands.
So who is this person that has the car now, and how is he connected to Rusty?

·
Registered
27,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's his step-son. I know Rusty was getting divorced and we did meet his son at his house. Not sure if it's the same son or if he has another step-son. It's been about 10 years since I talked to him.

Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
From the way his post was worded, I'm fearing the worst for Rusty.
I kind of read into it that way to. But then I just put it out of my mind. Man I hope that's not the case.

Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Looks like somebody is bashing PZ on that 'other forum'. Shees what's up with that?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,298 Posts
Looks like somebody is bashing PZ on that 'other forum'. Shees what's up with that?
It's the Vortex. It's what they do. But Paul can handle his own.

And yeah, the way it's worded, I'm not liking the odds for Rusty.

·
Registered
27,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His last post on FB was 2017 and he was "recovering".

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
All is well with Rusty,

I am his step-son from that marriage that didn't last, Rusty is well and happy, living with a very nice woman! He just picked up a 2018ish VW Passat wagon. He brought it over the other day to show me. He just didn't have the time or passion to work on this Passat that I inherited from him. Also, he mentioned his back isn't what it used to be so working on this car got to be a pain! He is helping me with most of it, but I don't want to force him into helping me rebuild it. Especially if his parting with this Passat (Rufus) was bittersweet.

I may not be the same step-kid that some of you met, my brother Matthew, grew up with Rusty, I only got to hang out on open track days when I was in town visiting.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I kind of read into it that way to. But then I just put it out of my mind. Man I hope that's not the case.
I apologize if I made it seem that way, Rusty is happy and working and living! I am mainly keeping him updated on the Passat, as I try to get it running again. He seems hopeful that I didn't smack a valve. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not that I need to know, just curious as to how this car get into the current owners hands.
So who is this person that has the car now, and how is he connected to Rusty?
I am the previous owner's ex Step-son, I was about 12 years old when he started building this car, I helped him bleed the brakes, and got hit and yelled at everytime I touched the exterior paint. Now it is my car.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Well, that's awesome news that Rusty is alive and well. Thank you for giving us the update.
I didn't have any 'forum' relationship with Rusty, but I certainly know of him from just being here on the forum.
Other people that have had a relationship with him here in the forum I'm sure will be delighted to know all is well.
If you can, tell Rusty the folks from the forum say hi, and wish him the best from all of us.

Reactions: mrjzorn8 and VAGguy

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
That's cool that you got his old car.
Welcome to the club. This is the place to be for all things Passat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, that's awesome news that Rusty is alive and well. Thank you for giving us the update.
I didn't have any 'forum' relationship with Rusty, but I certainly know of him from just being here on the forum.
Other people that have had a relationship with him here in the forum I'm sure will be delighted to know all is well.
If you can, tell Rusty the folks from the forum say hi, and wish him the best from all of us.
Here is Rusty's response...

"Way Cool!!!
It's been a long time since I've logged on there.
Tell 'em I got an Alltrack and might be coming back...
"

Then he gave me crap for not having the Passat running already. Lol

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing well! That car sure is a blast from the past. I seem to recall a couple of threads from the past - one about tax laws and the other about removing your windshield for better handling. I vaguely remember him being involved in those.

·
Registered
27,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the update, great news as I was worried.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts