Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,050 Posts
I couldn't make it through the 1st minute.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Very enlightening. Like this guy's writing style and how he pulls so much together. There is probably a 50-60 page appendix in the back full of documentation. Here's some videos for ya
Great videos. Fascinating and disturbing. Wish I had time to read the book. I'd heard about Blackwater, but never new the connection to the Evangelical Christian right-wing, the extent of the secret army, and the extent of it's role in Iraq. It's still just a sidekick to the U.S. imperial war machine, but a dangerous one.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They shoot their own videos presumably for their own use. It alludes to that in the book with the following scene of 4 of them, with a US Marine and a couple of either Chilean or Polish mercs on a roof just mowing down an Iraqi mob for about 4 hours.

A couple of interesting moments in the book so far -

The owner, Erik Prince, has been linked with members of the Christian Right who advocated overthrowing the government to install more Christian values.

Many of the Chilean mercs are retired from Pinochet's army and are linked with various atrocities there.

There are actually more mercs in Iraq than people "turning wrenches."

The amount of money is just staggaring that is being brought in by Blackwater. US Mercs might make $600 a day but when they hire from other countries they pay as little as a $1000 a month. Would you go to Iraq for a $1000 a month?

The death of the 4 Blackwater mercs in Fallujah was reported as "civilian contracters killed" and basically used as an excuse to completely destroy that city and kill 100s of civilians. The author connects this incident to much of the violence that goes on today. Fallujah became a rallying cry to get the Americans out of Iraq.

http://www.blackwaterbook.com/

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
These videos may be too complex for guys with MTV/VH1/whateverTV attention spans. Maybe the videos could be broken up into little factoid soundbites for their viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
A good friend of mine just got offered a job a Blackwater as an intelligence analyst. He's had no military or law enforcement training and the job entailed a 6 month deployment starting just one week after his wedding. After turning them down, Blackwater offered him a $100,000 signing bonus.
He ended up taking it. He's still in the US, but away from his new wife.
And, FWIW, he's Jewish.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I couldn't make it through the 1st minute.
:biglaugh: I made to about :50 seconds. Hey, at least it looked to be an objective piece. :biglaugh:
Hooray, J-RAD and Urlik are amused. To be specific, although it obviously has an anti-war slant, there were a number of actual claims in this film (I only watched the first one):

- Private security contractors constitute a significant armed presence in Iraq
- There is no system in place to investigate or prosecute unlawful conduct by private security personnel in the war zone
- The Bush administration supports the use of private security contractors
- Private security contractors are not measured in official casualty counts
- Blackwater USA is a major provider of private secutity personnel and has significant ties to the Bush administration
- Blackwater USA has been the recipient of large Pentagon contracts
- The highly publicized deaths that put "Fallujah" in the lexicon a couple years ago were of Blackwater employees

Which of these is untrue?

Times they be a' changing, though.. http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118852&ran=119896

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
....http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118852&ran=119896[/url]
"....president of the International Peace Operations Association, a Washington-based trade group that represents Blackwater and other government contractors."

I guess war is peace and peace is war to these guys.

·
Super Moderator
14,050 Posts
Like the old SAC motto said "Peace is our profession."

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
And to follow up on Macabre's comments, this actually started under Clinton (according to the objective video), the only "Bush-negativity" of the video is how extensively they are being used in in Iraq, how they seem to have carte blanc privileges, and how they are not being counted in the American body count, which might make Americans even more unhappy about deaths in Iraq.

Do we really want mercenaries fighting our wars for us? Using them as security details for non-US politicians in a war zone might be a good idea, but more than that?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
"....president of the International Peace Operations Association, a Washington-based trade group that represents Blackwater and other government contractors."

I guess war is peace and peace is war to these guys.
Peace through strength!:thumbup:

Harvey Wallbanger said:
Do we really want mercenaries fighting our wars for us? Using them as security details for non-US politicians in a war zone might be a good idea, but more than that?
I'm still waiting for SkyNet.:lol:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
What really struck me was the clip with Rep. Schakowsky.

She rattles off a bunch of "we think's" and then says "but we don't know, and we can't find out."

That is astonishing. An institution that not only doesn't know, but can't find out where tax money is going. If they've got so much they're losing it, then maybe they don't need so much of it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
More war profiteering for the Bush administration.
They're taking advantage of their ties with funding Bush before
he came into office.

Again, it's for Bush and his cronies, just like Haliburton.
Money, greed, pure and simple. Oh, and the fact that
our military can't enlist anymore poor working class
17 yo's for Bush's blood money war.. they know what's up!
What a joke. That certainly helps Blackwater position.

Whats really f-ing scary is using these clowns here post
hurrican Katrina in New Orleans. Apprently they don't need to
follow the same rules as law enforcement officials, because they
are not law enforcement. I wouldn't want them in my town.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts