Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be receiving a White 1999 Passat for my first car soon, and I am torn between what to do wheel wise. I wanted to use something like this:

But my friend said black might not look good on a white car. An opinions / Pics of white cars with black wheels?

I really like dark/aluminum type wheels over the chrome type of wheels..

Thanks

BTW
First Post :)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I personally can't stand Black rims on any light colored car, even on black cars it takes a special dark or black rim to pull it off right, but hey, if you want to look like a cop car or just like the getto look... go for it. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
G-H-E-T-T-O, repeat after me, G-H-E-T-T-O. :poke: Ok. Now, Flik Wasps in black with a polished lip look awesome on a black B5. To each his own, basically.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yes they look kinda ghetto, but I don't think they're vomit worthy or anything, just not really my style. If black wheels are yours I say go for it. Wheels are always an expensive purchase, it'd be a shame if you regretted what you bought later on, if you know what I mean. There's really nothing wrong with doing something different. The euro look is very popular here aparrently though, and I like it, but uniqueness tends to win out quite often.

(It's not rice until the rims are blue and neon pulses from the bottom of your altezza'd car sitting on cut springs and directional tires turned the wrong way...with a wing)

-Wapptor

·
Registered
631 Posts
To each their own...I agree with Wapptor that they aren't vomit worthy and you don't want to regret it later on...just be sure that's what you like. You could go with a black wheel with a polished lip, as suggested...if you went with the above wheel, your Passat would definitly be unique...Their are a few members here with black wheels and a polished lip, which look great. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...it only matters what you like though and how you choose to transform your Passat...just my $.02... be sure to let us know what you go with and do your suspension too cause you don't want to look like an SUV... :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a white Passat and the first thing I would do if I were you is paint the lower black body panels to match. I just did it and it looks awesome. That way you can think about your wheels and still do something that improves your cars looks.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm a fan of black wheels, but I do think black looks better on Japanese cars in general. IMO, I think the only color black doesn't go well with is white. Other than silver wheels on a silver car, I think black looks a lot more neutral than silver, and hence a lot cleaner.

My last 4 set of wheels were all black. I had SSR Competitions, which I had the spokes powdercoated in flat black w/ silver rims (original spokes were gumetal-ish color) on my silver B5 Passat. I have a set of of 15x7 Volk TE-37's in black for my red CRX, a set of 15x6.5 black Rota Slipstreams (Spoon replicas) on my red eg civic hatch, and a set of 15x7 black Team Dynamics Pro-Race-1's on my NA yellow miata; http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=01Y8008T050246&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=01Y8008T050249&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0

Matching colored wheels other than black is more tricky, and isn't easy to do. There are lots of old school JDM and BBS wheels that are in bronze, orange, polished silver (almost chrome like), other colors, or combos like black & red (SSR type X, Advan Oni's, Mugen RnR's, Volk NR-S, Watanabe RS-forged, etc) that can be really slick if matched to the right car. Granted, I don't expect a lot of Passat owners to be into that stuff b/c it's very different, not better or worse, from the more conservative 18-20in wheel euro approach using silver only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
ronaldmcdonald
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing