Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Months ago, I heard of a company developing a black paint that reflects heat and does not raise the surface temperature of the material it comes into contact with. I'm going for the sleeper look with my car and am looking into getting some of this to spray down my fmic. Has anyone heard of this stuff and where I can get it?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
A black paint that reflects heat? How could they possibly create a black paint that reflects heat better than the aluminum it covers? That's gonna be expensive. Would this paint have better hot/cold transfer properties than aluminum? I'd be shocked if that was the case... Post what you find. I'm really curious.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay...found it. A company called Swain makes a special coating called black body emitter that is suppose to improve thermal conductivity over bare aluminum. I heard they use this coating for race applications for radiators, oil coolers, and other heat transfer devices.

The only thing is...its not cheap. A guy on evolutionm.net got a quote for an evo fmic...250 bucks and it'll take 2 weeks.

http://www.swaintech.com/race.html

Edit: Spelling

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
$250 for a highly emissive coating would allow more time before the I/C gets heat soaked plus the I/C would recover to ambient temp. quicker. The coating improves the heat transfer rate and overall efficiency. If a coated I/C is mounted near any heat sources (radiator), it may absorb some heat from the rear :oops:. Typically products like these are "race only' since using it on a FMIC application may yield minimal results.

A larger SMIC might see improved efficiency from being coated since it's mounted further from the radiator.

Semi-gloss black lacquer might do if you're after a specific look though.

:wink: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.