Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car in for a routine oil change and the guys told me that my brake fluid was black. What could the cause be of that? I had my brakes bled at my 40k at a local garage and i trust their work so I dont think it coulda been them but i could be wrong.

Edison

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Look in your brake fluid container yourself. (It is the clear resevoir near the windshield in front of the driver's seat.) What does the fluid look like? This is the only way the guys at the shop are going to tell without breaking out the bleeder kit. If it is black, get yourself to a reputable mechanic ASAP.

SirWired

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa, if your brake fluid is black then there's major issues. Any contaminant in the braking system needs to be checked ASAP. You should have your entire system flushed to check the condition of the fluid! Replace the old fluid with new DOT4 specification fluid, I normally recommend ATE Type 200 but Castrol LMA is also an excellent choice. Also have your mechanic check the brake-line connections to each caliper and the condition of each brake line.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I don't suppose there's any chance the guy's that did the flush used ATE Blue fluid did they? It's very dark blue so looks blackish in the reservior. It's worth asking them. If they say they used a 'gold' or standard colored fluid, then get it out of there. If it is ATE blue, no problem... that's what it's supposed to look like.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
If the fluid really is black, I wouldn't go with just a simple flush. Black crap in the brakes implies something REALLY bad is going on, and significant parts of the brake system MAY need rebuilding. I would only have somebody that is a brake expert look at the system. (i.e. more than your average pad and rotor swapping B5'er)

SirWired

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
you guys are all assumeing its really black

get an eye droper or something and suck some up and look at it

it might just be the container is makeing it appear dark

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well as of right now the car is at the Stealership so im waiting on what they're going to BS me with. Im going to contact the last garage i went to and see if they remember what they did or not. But I've posted before on how I've gotten Flashing brake lights on my instrument cluster so I think I know what caused that. Thx for the info.

Edison

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
1EDYSON
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing