Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On bixexon there is just the one HID bulb, what is in the other side, a halogen, does it come on with the high beam xexon. Does this make sense.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
But the W8 is a Bi-Xenon headlamp. The halogen high beams (inner bulbs) can be deactivated so you only have the HID bulb as your low & high. A shutter operates on the DS2 bulb so it is technically low and high beam.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
On bixexon there is just the one HID bulb, what is in the other side, a halogen, does it come on with the high beam xexon. Does this make sense.

Because HIDs require time to heatup to proper operating temps you can't use a true Bi-xenon setup because the flashing of the highbeam is bad for the HID system.

The OEM Bi-xenon setups use a shutter to angle the HID low beam upwards to act like a highbeam...but they still use a Halogen style bulb as the real highbeam.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
**related, but sort of off-topic**
interestingly, bi-xenons on acura TL's only use the xenon bulbs, they actually fire up even when flashing. I believe the inner portion of the TL's headlight is a fog light, a la B5.

I'm not sure what the B6 bi-xenons do, but i think they also flash their xenons. Maybe christina can chime in on this one...

but yeah, as the guys above have said, on B5.5s, the halogen inner light is used for flashing, also it comes on as a high beam in addition to the un-shuttered xenon light, which really makes for a huge wall of friggin' light.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The light and beam pattern from the halogens is utter shite, the xenons go about 63 miles further and have no pattern, its just daylight ahead. The halogens really need to be disabled imo.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok next question, how is the bixexon shutter controlled, I assume its an electric solenoid that moves the shutter, does it just draw from when you flip that switch.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Its funny, they were trying to aim the halogen (yes, you have to aim high beams too) after the bixeons were installed and they couldn't with thye xeons on, just too bright :p

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so say hypothetically you were going to add bi xenon projector units to b5 HIDS, were would you wire the shutter to, thoughts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its funny, they were trying to aim the halogen (yes, you have to aim high beams too) after the bixeons were installed and they couldn't with thye xeons on, just too bright :p
When I aimed my halogen high beams, I first taped a towel over the plastic lens assembly directly over the xenon so I could see the halogen light. Otherwise, I also found it too bright!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

Here is a W8 Bi-Xenon headlight parts diagram..... Your probably past this point, but its a useful diagram none the less (and Im just trying to find a use for my newly acquired ETKA

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
U wire the shutter to the brights, of course. Because that's what they're used for.
Thats what I thought but I was not sure how the shutter works, if its a simple need power the whole time the brights are on to keep the shutter down or a small pulse. Wish Femi were still around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts