Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I was washing my wife's Golf TDI last night. She decided to leave some bird crap on the bumper of her car for too long and I think it did some paint/clearcoat damage. What is the best way to fix this problem. I tried using some 3M imperial hand glaze, but the area under the bird doodoo is very rough and the glaze didn't do a thing but make the paint around it look better. :lol:

Anyway, I was hoping that someone had some recommendations or ideas I could try.

Thanks,
-Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same thing happened to me a month ago. Bird crap left a clearcoat mark after being on the car for only an hour in the sun (and with black paint).

I was able to get it off with Meguiar's #9 cleaner/wax and an random orbital buffer. Hand-applications did nothing except lighten it a bit.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PassatVariantPunk said:
www.autopia.com
Autopia computer products. Interesting. :lol:

Schmove. That's good to know. I found a decent random orbital that I'm going to buy. I've been itching to buy one for a while anyway...

So, just using cleaner wax and the buffer will take it off?

-Mark

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
If the poop etched the clear .. nothing is going to take it off but the effect can be minimized by using a polish and a buffer .. all your going to do is lower the surrounding clear level untill your working the etch.

The best attack is a Porter Cable and a yellow pad with DACP then follow it with a white pad and #9 then wax.

You may not get it out but you will reduce the visual impact of it. Its going to be tough to do by hand but using a Terry applicator and an agressive polish is a start .. Don't go using a cut polish, you will leave hazing you will have a hell of a time getting out.

Best off to use less agressive and work longer. Terry is a little abrasive so it helps the polish.

I have had poop leave an etch and with just a little polishing and ignoring it for a couple days it dissapears but if you can feel the clear being rough under it its way past that.

For you guys buying a buffer don't waste your time and money on the cheapies .. they are useless and get stuck on the shelf right beside the treadmill.. Go for the Porter Cable. You will be glas you did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.