·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I'm starting to upgrade my wifes A4... okay NOT a Passat but
B5 related? :cool:

I have OE eibach springs (purchased for $50 new/used), which lower
the car approx. 20mm. I'm working on a tight budget, and the car has
109k. The shock/springs are making noise and I just replaced the front end with all new Febi-Bilstein control arms, TRE's etc. (kit).

I'm pretty sure Im getting a knocking sensation from the top shock tower/mount/bearing as well so I need to take car of this ASAP.
Is it worth it to purchase the Bilstein Sport shocks at $120 for the
(front) pair even though they have 69k on them?

thanks!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i wouldn't buy the pair of fronts at 69k for 120. i'd only buy them if they where dirt cheap, and you did the labor yourself. second buyers do not have a warranty on the shocks, whereas the original owner has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Installing the fronts is such a pain I would not replace them with anything but new. Otherwise you may have to do them again very soon.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! That's kinda how I felt too... but wasn't sure.

I guess I can't really afford shocks right now, so I'll just have to wait
and do it right. :cry: in my :beer:

I hate being poor.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
NO....and to add to D. Passat00.....their lifetime warranty is only good for the ORIGINAL buyer....you'd be S.O.L

8,184 Posts
Thanks guys! That's kinda how I felt too... but wasn't sure.

I guess I can't really afford shocks right now, so I'll just have to wait
and do it right. :cry: in my :beer:

I hate being poor.
you and me both...but who installed the shocks the first time...Now when I hear knocking I think that top nut isn't TQ down on the shock...that will cause a knock everytime and wear out the upper sturt mounts fast too. I would first take the whole thing apart and set it...for it could just be that nut, or springs wearing on the lower strutmount (which anti-seze will fix that ). take it apart and tq everything to spec and then see if the problem is there or gone...far cheaper the two new shocks (which if this is the iusse yes get them new and be done with them)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I'll give you a pair of stock shocks off my 2001 Passat sedan for $50 shipped. They came off the car with less than 3,000 miles. PM if interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts