Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in ride height? I mean, I'm looking for a slightly raked look for my B5.5 1.8T. The Bilsteins w/ adjustable perches are about $70 more than the bilstein sports. I would love to apply that extra money to another "much needed" mod. ;) Please help me determine which route I should take running H&R springs. Pictures would be beautiful if possible!:thumbup:

8,184 Posts
I would go with the normal ones....but the adj ones are sports....I think. The sports are lowered already so you can only put lower springs one and it cuts the option of putting the OEM springs back on. If I had to do it all over again I would have just gotten the bilsteins and left the OEM ones still on.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pson said:
I would go with the normal ones....but the adj ones are sports....I think. The sports are lowered already so you can only put lower springs one and it cuts the option of putting the OEM springs back on. If I had to do it all over again I would have just gotten the bilsteins and left the OEM ones still on.
I'm lost. So the adjustable perches serve what purpose? One would think to lower the ride height even more.... If I am riding on H&R springs will there be a difference between the two types of shocks?

·
Registered
539 Posts
You can get both the Bilstein Sport and Heavy Duty shocks with the adjustable perches and only the front shocks are adjustable. These are only available through Neuspeed, though S_Klass over on the Marketplace forum has a slightly better price than if you order direct from Neuspeed. The shocks have five possible settings with the standard setting being the middle one. You can go higher or lower in two incremental steps. The general belief is if you are using lowering springs you need to use the Sport shocks, though when I ordered direct from Neuspeed and told the rep that I was pairing the Neuspeed Bilstein shocks with the Neuspeed SofSport springs he recommended that I use the Heavy Duty shocks since the drop would be no greater than an inch and I was concerned about not wanting the ride to be too stiff. The valving of the Heavy Duty shocks isn't quite as firm as with the Sports, but if the drop from the springs will be much over an inch you'll need to go with the Sports. If you want the raked look the Neuspeed Bilstein shocks are the way to go. You just have to decide whether the Sport or Heavy Duty shocks are the correct way to go for your particular application. If I haven't provided you with enough information I'd suggest you call Neuspeed on their 800 number and they will be a great help.:thumbup:

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
It depends on which H+R springs you plan on running. H+R Sports will already give you a raked look, H+R OE will not.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
PLus if you get the grooved Bilstein Sports from the S_Klass GB you can buy the ECS front coil sleeves. You slip these on the strut instead of the OEM lower perch and you've got a coilover for the front so you can set the front ride height perfectly.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
manxdaddy said:
The shocks have five possible settings with the standard setting being the middle one. You can go higher or lower in two incremental steps.
The Neuspeed Bilsteins are Bilstein sports. Basically the additional perch settings will allow you to fine tune your ride height.

I am running on notch "2", one notch down from center. I am running the Neuspeed Bilsteins and Eibach Pro-kit springs.

In all honesty, I plan to kit my front perches up one setting. But, if you want the raked look, it is dependent on the spring/shock combination. The Eibachs provide a "flat" lowering. To get the rake I have to lower it a little more in the front. You may not have to do that with the H&Rs.

Also, take a look at ECStuning. They have their "budget minded coil over kit". It looks pretty cool IMO. Infinite lower perch settings for the fronts.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Why don't you just get the FK Hitech cup kit. Famous for the raked look and is cheapest set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts