Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i have a general question....

I was thinking of purchasing bilstein shocks for my 2002 passat 1.8t sedan. How would these shocks hold up with a set of lowering springs? i was wanting to go 1.5 inches in the front and 1.4 in the rear. Would these shocks blow prematuraly or would they hold up for a while?

is it neccessary that i spend the extra money on the bilstein sports? i dont race i dont drive hard i just have the occasional "spirited" driving session from time to time.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
they're nice, so are konis there both a nice shock that ride nice in my opinion, not sure how each will last cause neitehr were on my car long

·
Registered
313 Posts
the bilstein HD shocks are meant to be OE replacements for use with the factory springs. a small drop with these should be ok, but anything drastic will mess with the valving of the shocks. i'm not sure how much of a drop would be ok though...

the bilstein sports are meant to be used with lowering springs.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
They hold up pretty well. I have had a few leak on different cars after a couple of years. But that is true will all shocks. There are always a couple that leak out of hundreds.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

I was thinking of purchasing bilstein shocks for my 2002 passat 1.8t sedan. How would these shocks hold up with a set of lowering springs? i was wanting to go 1.5 inches in the front and 1.4 in the rear. Would these shocks blow prematuraly or would they hold up for a while?

is it neccessary that i spend the extra money on the bilstein sports? i dont race i dont drive hard i just have the occasional "spirited" driving session from time to time.
if you wanna go lower you should stick with sports because the regular stuff is not designed for lowwer car.
and yea i blew one rear shock i have sports, but the bilstein has life time warranty on their shocks so i just sent it to the place where i bought it from and they sent me a new one for free....

·
Registered
4,555 Posts

I have to agree with lpknack!! If you are using a lowered suspension stick with the Bilstein Sports. The correct Part Numbers for your car are:

BE5-6512-H0 (Front)
BE5-6542-H0 (Rear)

I hope this helps,

Will aka The Swami

1 - 6 of 6 Posts