Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered Bilstein sport shocks from another member here on PW.

They are brand new straight from Bilstein and they arrived today. I open them up and i notice that all their is in the box is the damper. No bolts or anything.

So now im wondering how does the shock stay on these without a perch or something, as well as am i missing bolts or anything?

These are for a 99 passat 1.8T sedan

thanks guys

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
All there should be is top nuts and maybe perches, if not top nuts you can get them at the hardware store for 10bucks(get the nylon locking kind). If there are not perches your must reuse your old ones.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
^^^QFT. You have to remove the perches from your OEM shocks or buy new ones. You should also have a set of upper nuts for one pair (I can't remember which) but you need to buy new lower bolts and nuts from a local VW dealer.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok.

I didnt really see any nuts or bolts, can i just reuse all that from my OEM shocks? Or do i gotta give VW a call?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You should also replace the circlips (adjustable models) regardless of their
condition IMO. You can purchase directly from Bilstein I think.

Also a good time to look at strut bearings, bumper stops, dust boots, etc.
These guys sell shock accessory kits, they probably have em for
Passat B5 too not sure I saw it but you should call them and see
if they can include bolts, etc.:
http://www.blauparts.com/suspension/shock_accessorykits.htm

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
The shocks should come with the top and lower bolt. If they didn't then your order is incomplete. This is what happens when you buy from a third party. Insist on the parts or get a refund.

Also these shocks a lifetime warranty. Make sure that Bilstien will honor it since you bought these from a third party. If not, then again get a refund. Otherwise you just wasted a lot of money.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The shocks should come with the top and lower bolt. If they didn't then your order is incomplete. This is what happens when you buy from a third party. Insist on the parts or get a refund.
B. and S. I've owned Bilsteins on THREE different vehicles and the lower bolts have NEVER been included. I just looked at the pics I took of my shocks when I got them and only the upper fronts have even been included. No lowers and no upper rears. EVER.

Also these shocks a lifetime warranty. Make sure that Bilstien will honor it since you bought these from a third party.
They will not warranty 3rd party.

If not, then again get a refund. Otherwise you just wasted a lot of money.
No he didn't. How often does a Bilstein go bad? Even if one does go bad and he gets a new one he's still up a couple hundred bucks. Stop being such a weenie.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
B. and S. I've owned Bilsteins on THREE different vehicles and the lower bolts have NEVER been included. I just looked at the pics I took of my shocks when I got them and only the upper fronts have even been included. No lowers and no upper rears. EVER.

They will not warranty 3rd party.

No he didn't. How often does a Bilstein go bad? Even if one does go bad and he gets a new one he's still up a couple hundred bucks. Stop being such a weenie.
Took the words out of my mouth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts