Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Nenad and an inquiry by I<MyW8, I was able to find part numbers for Bilstein suspension components for the W8! Guys who are running H&R Sports on their stock shocks can rejoice. There's also a shock/spring combo, and PSS9 coilovers available for our Passats.

Let me get an Amen!!! :D Nenad, we owe you big time!!

Here's the part numbers.. I contacted Shox.com for quotes, but any Bilstein distributor can get these items..

B6-Sport Shocks:

Part#'s: BE5-6953 (Front) and BE5-6954 (Rear)

B8 Sprint Shocks:

Part#'s: BE5-6955 (Front) and BE5-6956 (Rear)

B12-Suspension Kit (Shock/Lowering Spring Combo):

Part#: SE5-8881

B16-PSS9 Coilovers:

Part#: GM5-8868

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
:thumbup:
Also available at Eibach, springs for W8, P# 10-85-002-18-22

p.s. It is all my pleasure, :bow: for all your help with brakes and as well my quest for suspension.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well folks, it's time for the Bad News segment of this thread. :cry:

Koni and Bilstein are in the same boat when it comes to testing and validating suspension applications for the U.S. versions of the Volkswagen Passat W8. Remember that there's slight differences between the European and U.S. versions of the W8, and suspension components need to be fully tested in order to get an official thumbs up!

I've stated in the past that Koni is currently attempting to cross match components from the Audi A6 Quattro Sport with the U.S. version of the W8. It looks like Bilstein has done the same thing with their PSS9 coilovers. What's funny is that European Sport shocks are considered Heavy Duty, while the Sprint shocks provide a Sporty ride. :weirdo:

From past experiences, I would use the Heavy-Duty Bilsteins on our W8's as a replacement if you are running H&R Sport Springs because of the weight of our cars. The PSS9's are a great 2-way adjustable coilover; but with a $2000 price tag you might want to check out Variant 2's from KWSuspensions. :bow:

My coworker is running an 03' W8 on my old H&R Sport Springs. I called my old Gunny Sgt. in Berlin and he's shipping over a set of Sport Shocks. I'll keep you guys posted on the ride feel, because Danny's W8 is bouncing like a Thong Sporting Ballerina after 30K miles on the H&R's. :shock:

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys the part numbers provided are for European spec. W8's. What I see occuring is that the ETKA Part Number for dampers/shocks for the Volkswagen Passat W8 is the same for the A6 Quattro with Sport Suspension. Currently Koni is the only vendor who is attempting to cross match their Sport Adjustable shocks designed for the A6 on the W8. The only problem with this cross match is that the W8 cannot fully adjust the shocks to softer settings..

Update:

We were able to install the Bilstein shocks on Greg's W8 and the ride rebound was horrible. As a backup, my tuner was able to obtain a set of FKAutomotive Silverline coilovers and the car looked and rode great. My mechanic noted that the FK's had some design issues with the rear perches on Audi's and knock on wood the W8! So after 2 botched suspension installs, Greg went with KW's!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
so the fk's that you have been talking about before were crap.

was the rebound too harsh, and if they could have gone to the lighter setting would they have better.

good stuff, thanks for the continued info

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jeffsu350 said:
so the fk's that you have been talking about before were crap.

was the rebound too harsh, and if they could have gone to the lighter setting would they have better.

good stuff, thanks for the continued info
Well the FK's are generally a quality product! The front coilovers were flawless, but the design of the rear setup was poor. My tuner hipped me that a few Audi drivers were dumping their Silverline-X coilovers because the perch height caused the units to be very difficult to install and sat awkwardly once they settled. Also the rears didn't recover from bumps after sharp turns which was a PITA!

Now I have FK's installed on a Golf I fixed up and they are awesome but it looks like they have issues with their Audi and W8 setup.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bilstein Engineers correct Website!!!

It seems the European engineers at Bilstein corrected their website to reflect part numbers available for the W8.

:cry:

Guys, it looks like Bilstein is only bonding their PSS9 coilovers as an available suspension for the W8 Passats.

Something has got to give!! KYB, Koni, Bilstein, Eibach, somebody...anybody... We need aftermarket shocks!!! :bow:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Well damn... Tell them to send me a set.... :lol:
Actually I just turned 30K today and the stock shocks are still tight considering the car had 600 miles on it when I installed the H&R Sports...

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Well damn... Tell them to send me a set.... :lol:
Actually I just turned 30K today and the stock shocks are still tight considering the car had 600 miles on it when I installed the H&R Sports...
Dude when you gonna let us know about High Point bro? :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.