Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls, i've been away for a while, but now i'm back!

Having big trouble with the passat b5.5! The boost would die every time i was driving when the engine gets hot, so i got the air flow sensor replaced, everything seemed fine for a while, but now as opposed to boost dying, the engine dies, no funny noises or anything, it just stops, and is very hard to restart again, but does eventually fire after turning over maybe 9-10 times?? When it does re-fire, it idles at about 1200RPM and the engine check AND EPC lights come on, when starting from cold these lights dont appear! Could it be that the dealership, fitted the new sensor without scanning it in properly?, maybe just disconnected the battery for a while (which makes no difference).
Please help anybody, i'm thinking of selling it if it causes me any more problems:(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, fuel pump relay is ok, i've had it out dissasembled it and cleaned it up fine (its my job dont worry), plus the fuel pump is still running when the engine dies?
My timing belt is due for a change soon!

And lastly my oil pressure light came on, but went out after shutting down and restarting, oil level was full???????????????????

Dont tell me i'm becoming a victim of the dreaded sludge:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
879 Posts
if the coolant temp sensor is bad,the symptoms will be exactly as u described
ECU wants to protect ur car so due to overheating it drops boost or if necessary close throttle or kills engine.
Try to check that sensor.If u scan it u'll get some clues,too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rogerius said:
if the coolant temp sensor is bad,the symptoms will be exactly as u described
ECU wants to protect ur car so due to overheating it drops boost or if necessary close throttle or kills engine.
Try to check that sensor.If u scan it u'll get some clues,too.
Thanks very much for the advice, is that the sensor in the bottom radiator hose?

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah, it's in the bottom radiator hose... i was having the same problem except it didn't want to cold start... please post if replacing the sensor fixed your problem... i replaced mine and i still have the starting trouble about once every two weeks and i still get the code P0117 coolant temp sensor low input... my only conclusion is some sort of wiring issue to the sensor... let us know how your sensor replacement goes...

·
Registered
26,493 Posts
The sensor is on the back of the head. Not sure what sensor is in the radiator hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts