Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Momma - dubbed The Wedding Dress Express for this trip (explained below) performed flawlessly. Waxed and bra installed the day before leaving.The bra was a brilliant idea as I'd be having a stroke right now lol. Full size spare, tool kit, low profile 2.5 ton floor jack, and my trusty 5 gauge 16ft jumper cables in the trunk. So with all that, our suitcase packed to the brim, and the things listed below, we were not in lightweight mode at all lol.

We left the Dallas area last Wednesday morning headed towards Tucson for an overnight stay. Instead of taking I-20 straight towards El Paso and onto I-10, we went north after Abilene towards New Mexico. We took 84 to 62 and through the desert and mountains. OMG the scenery is amazing - first western road trip..As we hit the mountains and saw the sign that read: Sharp Curves Ahead, a voice from the passenger seat says: "NOW aren't you glad we came this way?" I LOVE YOU baby lol. Through the mountains, I kept it in Sport mode as well as had the shifter in the Manual gate to use the paddles. I used the engine as much as possible rather than ride the brakes like seemingly everyone around us. A few 100+ mph passes in the desert passing zones and I was grinning ear to ear. In the passenger seat ? Obliviously occupied with Facebook thankfully. Outside Tucson he glances over at the speedometer: "105 miles per hour ?!?! Doesn't feel like it at all." And back to Facebook lol.

We picked up I-10 at Las Cruces and headed towards Tucson. Interesting event on I-10. Shortly after seeing a "do not pick up hitchhikers in this area" sign, there was a weigh station. But ALL traffic was directed into it, trucks to the right, passenger vehicles to the left. Roll down the window: "Are you two US citizens?" It was border patrol. Just thought that was interesting.

Overnight in Tucson and on to Newport Beach. Arrived there around 2pm on Thursday with the wedding dress, groom's tux, and some center pieces for dinner tables. When we told the bride that we were going to do this as a road trip, she asked if we'd bring those items with us. She trusted us more than bringing the dress on the flight out or shipping it along with the other stuff. So NO PRESSURE there lol. Breakfast at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles in Anaheim Friday morning and a little walking around Newport Beach and The Balboa Island/Peninsula. Wedding was on a bay cruise yacht Friday evening and a beach party on Saturday afternoon/evening on Huntington Beach. We went down to Laguna Beach in the morning for breakfast and walked around like tourists beforehand.

Left Sunday morning and headed to Sedona. Fell in love. I could see us moving there. The scenery, the food.. Yeah, we're seriously considering it. Left Sedona yesterday morning. Nav put us home at 1am. Beat that by 49 minutes with stops lol. We took I-40 east all the way to Amarillo, then 287 S back to the Arlington area. Breathtaking. No run-ins with five-oh although I did zip by a few with the SCC set at 83 mph in the 75 mph zones. They seemed more interested in trucks - small box trucks and semis - in particular on I-10, I-20, and even on I-40. Most were state police but even the one sheriff in the Texas Pan Handle even seemed uninterested at my 83-84mph pass-by. I'd say of the dozen traffic stops we saw, two of them were passenger vehicles

Ok the car. Used SCC where possible and it was great, especially with the slow downs in the construction zones. A/C and cooled seats kept us comfy even with the outside temp reading 116 sitting motionless on I-10 due to a multi-semi accident through Palm Springs and 105-110 in Sedona. The head unit also changes time automatically as you cross time zones. Thought that was cool. Bi-xenons lit up the roads where there was zero lighting. Views out of the pano roof were amazing as well. Best tank was 510 miles with a speed average of 72mph - most of it above 80mph. Took 16.2 gallons at fill up. Trip average over 3161 miles was 31mpg. A lot of time in traffic in Cali, an accident or two, and the construction zones hurt but still not bad considering my speeds. No hiccups. Didn't burn a drop of oil. Our backs and bottoms are in good shape (subjectively lol) and I can't complain one bit. Other than food, fuel, and rest room stops, we had no reason to stop and we'd do it again.

Just a few pics..Forgive the screenshots but the Photo Bucket app is a pita with having to go through the entire camera roll in seemingly no rational order to get to the pics I wanted to upload.

Just before we left.

Just now. See how effective the bra was in keeping dem huge skeeters from sticking ?!?! LOL.

Scenic overlook on 62

Scenic overlook between Cottonwood and Sedona

We took countless pictures. The scenery is simply epic.

·
Registered
27,106 Posts
Sedona is a pretty nice, but traffic and sprawl are ruining it. It's also a bit warm. Nice to visit, but I would rather live in Flagstaff if I moved to Arizona.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke to a guy that moved to Sedona a year ago. Says - like anywhere lately - real estate prices up about 10% in the last year. My friend of 30 years is making plans to move to the Tucson area from NJ in the next year so we'll visit some more..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts