Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these tires, esp in 205/55/16 size? I'm looking for pretty good performance, stiff sidewalls, and a quiet ride too, especially as they wear.

I was considering the fm901's, but I get the feeling that people w/ the higher aspect ratios think the sides are soft, and the tire wobbly.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: BFgoodrich comp T/A KDWS opinions (TripleDouble)

I have them on my Z28 and they aren't bad at all. They are pretty quiet but seem to handle reasonably sharply with pretty good grip.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: BFgoodrich comp T/A KDWS opinions (Msquared)

I had the Goodyears on my 98 SVT Contour, but the year after SVT changed to the KDWS, people loved them. They certainly lasted longer than my Goodyears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: BFgoodrich comp T/A KDWS opinions (Schmluss)

I've ordered a set, and should have them on next week. I'll let you all know what I think of them w/ respect to my current dunlp sp8000's.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts

BFGoodrich Tires haven't been a favorite of mine since I hydroplaned on a set of CompT/A's on a 300ZX in 1994. My friend, you may want to consider a set of Bridgestone R950's, Michellin Sport Pilot A/S, or Yokohama AVSdb's. These tires are much better in the rain than the CompT/A's.. Wouldn't want to see you crumble up that Passat due to some poorly manufactured tires!!!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Re: BFgoodrich comp T/A KDWS opinions (The Swami)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BFGoodrich Tires haven't been a favorite of mine since I hydroplaned on a set of CompT/A's on a 300ZX in 1994.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd hope their technology improved since 1994...?

I think he's ordered them already, so too late. I guess we'll wait for his verdict...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: BFgoodrich comp T/A KDWS opinions (The Swami)

The Comp T/A and the KDWS have essentially nothing in common. The Comp TA was 80s technology and was not a great tire even in 1994. Since then, BFG has been bought by Michelin and their tire line has changed considerably. I would not personally let my impression of older BFG tires (which I agree was not all good) influence my impression of the current offerings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: BFgoodrich comp T/A KDWS opinions (Msquared)

Well, the BFG's came in, and with a weekend of driving, I'd have to say that I like the tires. The sidewalls are nice and stiff, the ride quieter than the sp8000's, and the grip is plentiful. I haven't actually pushed it to the limits yet, but have been driving faster than I intend to be driving for the most part. I only downside is that the tires look kinda cheesy, but looks are on the bottom of the priority list! Considering the recent posts on the tirerack regarding the fm901's, I'm glad I didn't get them.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I had a set of the KD's, the summer version and loved them, though living in the northeast kept it interesting and they wore kind of quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts