1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this on the radio today:
Expert says glass is major threat to birds

From the story...
"Glass is ubiquitous and it's indiscriminate, killing the fit and the unfit," said Klem, a Muhlenberg College ornithologist who estimates that collisions with glass kill up to 1 billion birds a year in the United States alone.

"Buildings that we have created to be aesthetically pleasing are slaughtering birds."
WTF?! :crazy: :weirdo:

Buildings are slaughtering birds?! These people have lost their minds!! I'm speechless. Let me guess, next there will be a call to ban all glass windows. Even supposing someone buys this...a billion birds a year?! Are there even that many birds in the U.S.? If we were losing that many wouldn't we be up to our elbows? This is just too much.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Not too long ago I saw a blonde (dumb, I assume) walk straight into a glass wall of a store, she hit it pretty hard with her head but I'm sure she was more embarrassed!
Everyone in the store started laughing as soon as she left. Priceless!!!

:eek: :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
maintenance guys all over the world are much more busy than I thought! after all they're cleaning up nearly 30,000 dead birds a day.

you realize this is all because of the War on Drugs right? :p :poke: :lol: that and them friggin anarchists! :D

edit: bad math, see Mongers post for a better number....(billion is a lot of zeros...) :suspicio:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Rich P said:
If we're losing that many birds, how come the amount of bird droppings on my car never decrease?
Maybe try cleaning your car. :lol: Sorry... I couldn't resist. I hope that joke didn't fly by everybody (ha, fly by... I kill myself). I really need to get to bed... I'm not well you know. :crazy:

·
Registered
696 Posts
2,800,000 dead birds a day. Wow, you'd think dead bird retriever jobs would be more popular. At that rate we would need bulldozers clearing the roads like a streetsweeper :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I actually witnessed a large crow slamming into my office glass window just a few feet in front of me, broke his neck and dropped to the ground. Scared the begeesssh out of me ... :nervous:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have seen birds fly into the windows of my parents house on several occassions. But 1 billion a year? :suspicio:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
1 billion dead birds would completely cover an area of approximately 3,826 acres.

I work in a completely glass building that is 21 stories high. I've never seen a dead bird on the sidewalk around our building.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I have only witnessed cats and people running into glass doors. I think I may have seen 1 bird hit a window, but it was an evil bird trying to kill me. :evil:

Wait until the lawsuit from the birds is filed, we are all screwed.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Yes I have witnessed a bird (actually a woodpecker) running into one of the big front windows of our house in Wisc. Knocked him out, I thought he was dead, but about an hour later, he came to and flew away. <<Sure glad I didn't bring him inside :lol:

A Billion though? Give me a break, these stories are pulling numbers out of there ass.

On a side note, I don't remeber if it was posted hear, but I remeber reading a story about those giant wind powered electircal stations were killing birds that flew into them.

My thought is that, they survived this long, dawrinism at its best, let hte stupid birds die.

-Nick

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The US is a big place remember, so that 2,800,000 birds per day is spread out over a wide area.

They must be including all the birds that are dying from running into glass in the wilderness... er, wait, there isn't any glass buildings in the woods. :suspicio:

.... right, billions.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
3,000,000,000 billion birds die annually, striking windows. That’s 8,219,178.1 birds per day.

The land (this excludes water) area of the U.S. 3,537,438.44 is square miles.

This means that on average 2.32 birds die per day on one square mile of land area. In a year that’s 848.1.

The US fish and wildlife service estimates MIGRATORY avian population in the US (birds that breed here) to be 10 billion and that in the fall at least 20 billion take up residence (during migrations). These are the numbers for migratory birds ONLY. The estimated avian population in the US is in excess of 35 billion.

http://www.mpsutility.com/fall2002.htm
Still, it is estimated that anywhere from 100 million to well over 1 billion birds are killed annually in the United States due to collisions with human-made structures. According to a study completed by the National Wind Coordinating Committee (http://www.nationalwind.org/pubs/default.htm), the number of bird fatalities associated with wind power doesn't even come close to the number caused by collisions with glass windows, automobiles, or even domestic cats. According to the study, it is estimated that anywhere from 98-980 million birds die in collisions with glass windows or buildings, 60-80 million in vehicular collisions, but just 10,000-40,000 with wind generation facilities. Interestingly, the National Audubon Society estimates avian mortality due to house cats at a whopping 100 million birds per year.

3 billion may be high but conservative estimates are not that far off.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Spirare said:
According to the study, it is estimated that anywhere from 98-980 million birds die in collisions with glass windows or buildings,
98 - 980 million, they can't get any closer then that????

:crazy:

-Nick

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
this reminds me of an article i read about a big atmospheric laser test they were conducting in Boulder. In the article, it said "The company has taken special precautions to protect aircraft and birds that might fly into the beam." Um.... what did they do? send out a birdy memo? ATTN. ALL BIRDS: !WARNING! BIG FRIKKIN LASER GOING OFF TONIGHT, AVOID BOULDER! ALT. ROUTES ADVISED!! REGARDS, LASER DOODS

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Michael Moore's new documentary.... "Flying into Windows for Columbine"
Michael Moore's new book.... "Stupid White Bird"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
18 Participants
HalfGreek
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing