Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I just purchased a used 99 B5 Passat. I am not familiar with the tiptronic system as I have only had cars which had manual and automatic independently. (Camaro and 3-series BMW).

So I think i've got the hang of the thing. However, when I brake and come to a stop, my car struggles to stay in 1st ...it sometimes just shuts off...the kind of feeling you get if you let the clutch go at a stop in 1st...

am i doing something wrong or do i need to just get the hang of it? or does my car need to be in a shop?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah I don't think that's right, my 04 Tiptronic will just fall to 1st gear and idle there when in tip mode if I break down from 5-4-3-2-1.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
ok so I just purchased a used 99 B5 Passat. I am not familiar with the tiptronic system as I have only had cars which had manual and automatic independently. (Camaro and 3-series BMW).

So I think i've got the hang of the thing. However, when I brake and come to a stop, my car struggles to stay in 1st ...it sometimes just shuts off...the kind of feeling you get if you let the clutch go at a stop in 1st...

am i doing something wrong or do i need to just get the hang of it? or does my car need to be in a shop?
yes it needs to be in a shop..btw does it do that in the auto mode,(didnt mention it)then its not fluid related .if it dosnt do it in D,then its a computer controlled function if it does only in tip mode.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go from there

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Are all your upshifts and downshifts smooth when in D (not tip mode)? Does the torque converter lockup when your at constant speed? Can you feel the torque converter unlock if you accelerate hard but not hard enough so the tranny downshifts? RPM should go up maybe 500 RPM or so.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are all your upshifts and downshifts smooth when in D (not tip mode)? Does the torque converter lockup when your at constant speed? Can you feel the torque converter unlock if you accelerate hard but not hard enough so the tranny downshifts? RPM should go up maybe 500 RPM or so.
nope ken, the drive is pretty nice otherwise

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Might not be transmission related. You probably ought to find someone with a VAG-COM and scan the car for DTC especially the Transmission Control Module and Engine Control Module.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Wtf Is This......................forum Moderator Must Have Missed This One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts