Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passat 2005 GLX 4 motion drives well in the snow. NYC just got pounded by a foot of snow and blizzard gusts. I drove home after an overnight shift, past numerous struggling SUVs and jeeps and then in a coup de grace, through a high drift around a car stuck in the middle of 84th street (up hill) and then through two walls of snow into a "parking place."

The wipers, on the other hand.... I had to clear them repeatedly from build-up of snow which ultimately bent the passenger side wiper. (Dangerous to keep stopping to clear them.) Even in lighter snowfalls, the smallest bit of ice on the windshield quickly spoils the squeegees. Dealers have replaced the blades on warrantee a couple of times. It is tiresome and this morning it was dangerous.

I had the same problem with my 2002. What happened to German engineering? It snows there, right?

Can anyone recommend a better wiper blade?

(The other really annoying thing is having to turn the rear defroster on again every 10 minutes. The window fogs up very quickly. Any way to prevent it from turning off automatically?)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got the Bosch Icons, they just came out. Im really impressed, great in the rain and snow. They are totally silent and don't leave those streaks on your windshield. It is a bracketless design, so less snow and ice stick to it, and i guess its suppost to act as a spoiler at higher speeds. A little pricey though, I paid about $45 for both blades.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The Bosch Icons that "just came out" are the exact same wiper as the stock "VW Aero Wiper" that has been standard on Passats since mid 2002. I have never had a lot of trouble with the "Aero's" even in all of the cold and snow here in MN.

Rather than replace the whole wiper at the exorbitant pricing, I got the refills from the stealer ($5 a whack, $20 for both B5.5's). Took about 30 minutes and a little liquid soap, but the job was done.

I saw an ad for the "new wipers" in Autoweek this week and just laughed to myself. They are good wipers, just not new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wiper refills

Trico 45-205 refills are available for about $7 at most auto parts stores. They slip into the oem wipers in about 2 minutes, and work better, and cheaper than the Bosch replacements I have used in the past. At that price you can replace twice a year if you wish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anything special you have to do when replacing the blades or is it just a straightforward replace?

Given that the blades are different lengths, do I buy one set of each or just trim them down?

·
Registered
538 Posts
ameoba said:
The Bosch Icons that "just came out" are the exact same wiper as the stock "VW Aero Wiper" that has been standard on Passats since mid 2002. I have never had a lot of trouble with the "Aero's" even in all of the cold and snow here in MN.

Rather than replace the whole wiper at the exorbitant pricing, I got the refills from the stealer ($5 a whack, $20 for both B5.5's). Took about 30 minutes and a little liquid soap, but the job was done.

I saw an ad for the "new wipers" in Autoweek this week and just laughed to myself. They are good wipers, just not new.
Do the Bosch Icons work on the "conventional" wiper arms found on older Passats? I've wanted to convert my 1998 1.8t to the VW "Aero" blades used on newer Passats but was told that I needed to buy complete arms.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Salaryman said:
Do the Bosch Icons work on the "conventional" wiper arms found on older Passats? I've wanted to convert my 1998 1.8t to the VW "Aero" blades used on newer Passats but was told that I needed to buy complete arms.
I can't speak specifically to the icons, but I've been using various Bosch and PIAA refills on the old style arms and none of them work worth a damn at higher speeds. My Aero wipers and arms are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to see in the rain.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Salaryman said:
I believe that is the point behind the new Bosch Icons. Aero-style on cars that don't ordinarlily have them. Your local dealer should have a fitment guide.

SirWired

1 - 12 of 12 Posts