Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm doing my front brakes and can't get the bolts out of the caliper brackets. They are torqued to 120Nm according to the Bentley manual. Is there a way to remove them without having to bribe someone at Midas to do it?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
776 Posts
Use a rubber mallet on the end of your ratchet handle (manual impact wrench :) ) Just be warned that it is hard on both the ratchet and the socket. I've used this a bunch of times (gotta remember to buy a chunk of pipe to use instead), it even works well on bolts that turn - like the harmonic balancer centre bolt on my wife's Nissan pick-up truck.

You can also buy a manual impact wrench that you beat on with a hammer (looks kind of liked a beefed up extension - socket goes on one end, you pound on the other end with your hammer, the blow of the hammer is transferred as torque to the socket by an internal mechanism).

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I use a crescent wrench on the bolt and then a longer, significantly larger, box-head wrench around the end of the crescent wrench shank (where it meets with the opposite head to the one that you have on the bolt) to extend the effective length and get more leverage. I don't know if this will work in the wheel well, but I've done it a number of times on belt tensioners and tough to crack nuts/bolts.

Or you could just do what my buddy's dad tells me to do (since I'm 5'10" and weigh about 135lbs); "Just open a can'o'man on it." :lol:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
NotAPreppie said:
I use a crescent wrench on the bolt and then a longer, significantly larger, box-head wrench around the end of the crescent wrench shank (where it meets with the opposite head to the one that you have on the bolt) to extend the effective length and get more leverage. I don't know if this will work in the wheel well, but I've done it a number of times on belt tensioners and tough to crack nuts/bolts.
Crescent wrench? Don't value your arms, hands, or fingers too much do you...

:crazy:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Use a 6-point socket preferrably 1/2" drive breaker bar and not a ratchet.

Also, are you sure you are going CCW i.e. loosening it instead of tightening the bolt? It happens to the best of us specially when the bolt head is away from you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you can heat it up with a torch the expansion will often loosen a siezed fastener.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
O22Ripper said:
Add a breaker bar to it....or some sort of extension...

edit: cant stand on it to get the bracket bolts out :poke: sorry. haha
breaker bar would be the easiest, provided that you have the room for it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Liquid Wrench or similar. Let it penetrate for a bit, then lightly tap the bolt several times with a ball peen or a deadblow. Repeat this several times with as much time as possible between applications. Also, wire brush it where bolt enters body if rusty there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, the torch will change the properties of the bolt through heat treating. Just get as much leverage as you can on it. I would use a penetrant as well. The brake dust and heat will certainly do its best to try to keep the bolt in there. Of course you could get an impact wrench. If you don't want to spring for the air type, then there are electric versions available as well. Not sure if one of your local auto parts stores will loan you one. Some do.

·
Registered
234 Posts
powerslide23 said:
Use a 6-point socket preferrably 1/2" drive breaker bar and not a ratchet.

Also, are you sure you are going CCW i.e. loosening it instead of tightening the bolt? It happens to the best of us specially when the bolt head is away from you.
This is the best advice.....
Everyone should own a set of 6-points...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts