Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
That guy really wants his laptop back. The FBI will be there right after they finish looking for the person who wrote p**** ETR on the side of my car back in 1994.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
He never got it back.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
yeah... as long as the dude's careful he's in the clear. I would not turn it in. I'd take my chances. If they had pictures and witnesses he wouldn't be addressing the class. All the thief would get is theft. It's the owner's fault for not protecting the data. There are plenty of restrictions on stuff like that... if he had critical/confidential data on his computer he had to encrypt/password protect it.

We had a similar incident (not as large a scale) happen to our company. Someone stole some workbooks containing TONS of information on patients information. Luckily, it wasn't our fault, it was the people who were doing the work for us. There is not supposed to be any way for someone to access that data, but some girl had the notebook in her car and it got broken into.

He's just using threats because he has nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
LMAO that professor is so full of shit... True, there is technology that could allow you to pinpoint where someone is on a wireless network, but only a few universities have it at this time (I remember reading that one university was working on this a while back, dunno if it's actually been implemented)...

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
What a load of BS. He acts like the fact that he re-activated his "special" copy of Windows on another computer is gonna tell anybody anything? The fact that he started with such a lame story shows he's faking it.

If I did it and he really scared me, that laptop would be in the bottom of a river somewhere. I sure as hell wouldn't turn it in. As for his precious data, HE's the one in trouble because it belongs to someone else and he is responsible for its safekeeping.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The fact that he supposedly had all that sensitive information on the laptop and did not have the common sense to have EFS enabled shows he doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
VWDogma said:
The fact that he supposedly had all that sensitive information on the laptop and did not have the common sense to have EFS enabled shows he doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about.

whats EFS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts