Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be wrapping my friends interior trim on his car next weekend, and have been looking at various brands of vinyl wrap and carbon fiber vinyl wrap and i would like to ask you fellow PWers what you prefer.
i wrapped my b5 interior in silver carbon fiber wrap a while back and it came out great. the texture on it was nice and it had a realistic look to it, but this was a cheaper china brand wrap that i got from a friend that does this for a living.

now fast forward to today, i was researching online about what wraps people prefer and everyone on various forums said 3M 1080 was the best. so i emailed 3M and asked for a sample booklet of their wraps. they sent me the booklet and i got it yesterday, and after looking thru it i am NOT impressed.
their carbon fiber vinyl looks like crap! it has barely any texture to it, the squares on the print are super tiny, they are not straight either. it looks like someone melted and stretched them at a 30* angle.
the brushed aluminum looked a little better but i am not happy at all with the 3M 1080,it looks cheaper than the cheap chinese wrap i used in the past.

is there any wraps that actually look good and resemble the real thing a little better than what i have been seeing lately? what about 3M di-noc? i've heard that's a little thicker and harder to work with but i honestly don't mind because i have a heat gun and its not that hard to work with vinyl wrap.

appreciate any input :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well in my idea 3m brand would be the best to buy. Yes it may be plastic looking, but surely would last longer compared with other brands.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well in my idea 3m brand would be the best to buy. Yes it may be plastic looking, but surely would last longer compared with other brands.
X2

I have wrapped my interior - wood trims with 3m carbon fibre and it is still stuck nicely 18 months down the line. But remember to warm it as you manipulate it around corners and into indents, this makes it more maluable and it also hardens it and makes it stick better. Go for a hair dryer rather than a heat gun as it is a more subtle heat and you are less likely to damage the plastic wrap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts