Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys-

what do you recommend for the best type of wax for my silver 99 passat?
i just got this car and want to put a real nice coat on her. i live in NY, and summers here are hot with blazing sun...so im looking for hardcore protection.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
312 Posts
well your going to hear a lot from many different people,one website i would suggest is www.autopia.org there is a wealth of information on car detail and care. I personally use Einszett, i belieeve you get the best results with proper wash and continued care. you could also look in Julian Fangs Guide to new Passat owners, there is a topic about this and i think you could learn a lot about it, cuz i know i did.

Hope this helps.

Steve C.

·
Registered
177 Posts
unfortunately the wax I would recomend is no longer available, I use Boyd Coddingtons paste wax. I'm not a fan of cremes for the simple fact they don't stay on as long. I'm not a fan of paste cause they are so hard to get off. So i just us an electric polisher to apply the wax and remove the wax in the same manner. They quite making Boyds wax cause it was so hard to work....even says that on the can. "unussually hard to remove, this wax will take an extra effort." But, I've never found anything that could compete. My car still sheets water and still shine like I just waxed it. The last time I waxed was about 7 months ago.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
What wax you use is entirely your preference, there is no "best wax" per se*

But, you'll probaby get the following suggestions (in no particular order)

- Einszett Glanz Wax
- Blitz Carnuba Wax
- Mothers Gold Carnuba Wax
- Turtle Wax
- Klasse (polymer wax substitute)
- Zymol
- Zaino Brothers
- P21S
- Pinnacle Souveran

Most people have not tried each of these and don't know the individual properties of each, but they are all quite different from one another. If you can, try several waxes and see which one you like. Personally, I've tried each of those waxes, and my preference right now is for two steps: Einszett Glanz topped with P21S. Einzsett will protect your car quite well, but doesn't have much shine or depth to it, so I put the P21S on top to bring out the shine in the paint.

I had been using Mothers Gold, but after a side by side with P21S, it was the clear looser. Based on shine, depth, ease of application, and cost. I'll have to wait to see how well it holds up.

*I lied, the best wax is Pinnacle Souveran, it is simply the best wax I have ever used. Period. The problem is price, at $60 per tub it's the most expensve wax out there.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I like boris's suggestion one grand because of its easy on..however ive noticed that it looks far better on darker colored cars.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid or Creme Wax after the Gold Class "Shampoo and Conditioner". Also get a Mother's claybar and claybar the car after washing- picked up so much of the crap hidden by the silver paint on my 99. Then post somee pics. Oh yeah, Westeley's "Bleche-Wite" tire and wheel cleaner is good to remove all the dirt and brake dust on wheels and tires, also good for the unpainted trim and vinyl. HTH :thumbup:
dme79 said:
I like boris's suggestion one grand because of its easy on..however ive noticed that it looks far better on darker colored cars.
yeah, don't expect that mirror shine from silver cuz you'll only be disappointed, although it still be really shiny, but reflections will not be the same as on a black, dark red, or dark blue finish.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wax

Well here is my recommendation I was looking for a great wax for my Black 2004 GLX because of swirls and surface scratches and I tried Meguiars and was pretty pleased with it until my friend referred me to a company that specializes in auto detail products that he used to use. The company is P&S Sales. Just search on yahoo. They have a great wax that puts a showroom shine on your car and is very easy to take off, we're talking one pass. The wax is the consistency of water but is awesome and takes very little. I have gotten nothing but compliments about how clean my car is by using this. The name is Xpress Wax. Here is a pic of my car after I used it. Let me know what you think. One last thing another great thing to purchase from these guys is there microfiber detailing towels. They are great!

Wood

·
Registered
245 Posts
My current preference is Zymol Creme :thumbup: :thumbup: . I used to be a die hard Mothers fan and I was convinced the 3 step wax process was the best :crazy: . I found out that Zymol creme was more durable and much easier to use :D . My four hours wax sessions are down to about 45 minutes. I also noticed a brighter color on my white Taurus.
I too was a McGuires user. I found it to be chalky and streaked easily.

Back when I used to detail show cars, I used Pro Wax yellow. It was an awesome wax for black laquer. No hazing,streaks or swirls to be found. Can't find it anymore, it was a pain to use anyway.

I guess it is all about the level of effort you want to put into your shine. I found a better shine that last longer with Zymol. It is faster too, so I can enjoy more time to actually drive the car rather than rub it.

Who knows...I might give Einszetts a try and compare it to my Zymol. I have seen a lot of positive posts about it and it's raising my intrest a little bit. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
This is funny because I have tried all those expensive polish/waxes and yesterday I tried some cheap Nu Finish on the wifes car and I am blown away by the shine. Looks like glass and feels like glass and for $5.99 a bottle Im sold. Really really am impressed with how easy on easy off even in sun and the shine is amazing! Just cant believe how the car looks, next up my car :) Nu Finish for me from now on!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just finished polishing mine up today...first day it hasn't rained in ages...

Started off with Turtlewax Express (spray-on), and followed up with Mer which I love because it leaves no residue on your black trim...

Here are a few pics...

·
Registered
381 Posts
w8cmp: Nice car! Is that pacific blue pearl?? Mine is the same color. But dude, your steering wheel is on the wrong side! Do you deliver mail in that thing?

Wax: I usually use Mequire's Cleaner Wax because it won't build up. Does a nice job. Lots of folks will recommend Zaino though I've never tried it. For wheels and tires - Simple Green! I think it's more important how well you keep your car and how often you clean and wax it as opposed to which product you use. Some good recommendations here though.. I may have to try a few.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome suggestions everyone- pics look sick too- thats what im going after. i'll let ya all know which one i pick & the results

-cheers

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I'v done the;

1) Turtle Wax

2) Meguiars #26 (Best med priced)

3) Meguiars Gold Class ( Crap on a dark car )

4) Meguiars NXT ( excellent on/off and gloss )

5) Klasse twins .. ( AIO is good SG is finiky on how its applied .. good gloss and good life )

6) P21S ( easy on easy off good gloss .. lousy life on a dark car in the sun.. bout 2 weeks ) not wort the money.

7) Pinnacle .. didn't try it , not work $60 US and the life is short.

8 ) Glanz waz .. Best all round for $ ,, ease of use, Gloss and longivity and user friendly for the average detailer

9) Zaino .. ( what I use ) easy on .. easy off . Complicated to use but the end results are awesome and the life is in months not weeks .. You be the judge ..

BTW they all look like crap if you don't do the proper surface prep. Nothing like spending a good Saturday morming washing and waxing so you can show off the swirls you didn't remove.

My paint was prepped with clay then Menzerna polishes *then* wax or sealant.

·
Registered
555 Posts
holy wax bottles batman! jesstzn's paint looks like a freakin mirror :eek: .. nice!
A lot of the body shops I know use P & S waxes / detail products, thats what we used at the dealer, and at the last detail shop I worked at.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts