Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I was wondering what everyones opinion was for the best timing belt kits for the 1.8T engine. Mine personally is an AWM (2002).

So far Ive heard good things about the ECS Ultimate kit, as well as the one off Dieselgeek.com.

So what does everyone think about the different kits, based on quality, ease of install, and whats included in the kit?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I would get the dieselgeek on becuase it has the treaded bolts for the bumper bolt, or atleast find out what the tread count is on those bolts so you can buy some local .

I got the ECS kit and it worked great for me, They give you alot of antifreeze thought

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would get the dieselgeek on becuase it has the treaded bolts for the bumper bolt, or atleast find out what the tread count is on those bolts so you can buy some local .

I got the ECS kit and it worked great for me, They give you alot of antifreeze thought
i have the dieselgeek kit sittin here. so i have those bolts if you want me to bring them for the install(if you dont get a kit with them).

i thought about gettin my kit from ecs but my last couple orders from them have been a little hit and miss on if they pull the right parts or just send me random stuff.. chose the dieselgeek kit because i got a deal on it in the classifieds

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just installed the dieselgeek TB kit a few weeks ago. Very high quality kit, and the extra bolts for putting the front of the car into service position really came in handy. I also bought 2 - 1.5qt bottles of Pentosin G12 coolant from dieselgeek, which was basically exactly the right amount of coolant when mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I also recommend that you buy a pin wrench to set the tensioner. The Stahlwille 12717 wrench found at the following link would be what you need:

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp?ACTION=prod&TYPE=&CAT=&SUB=&prod=&Search=12717&PG=3&LowCt=16

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting anthracite... if you havent seen, we are having a passat gtg for minnesota on october 14-15.... It is looking we a few guys are gonna help me put in my timing belt on that sunday at my house in eagan. let me know if your interesting in helping.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
interesting anthracite... if you havent seen, we are having a passat gtg for minnesota on october 14-15.... It is looking we a few guys are gonna help me put in my timing belt on that sunday at my house in eagan. let me know if your interesting in helping.
ooo that sunday?(15th)... lol i thought this sunday(8th)..ill see if i can still make it:)

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I just installed the dieselgeek TB kit a few weeks ago. Very high quality kit, and the extra bolts for putting the front of the car into service position really came in handy. I also bought 2 - 1.5qt bottles of Pentosin G12 coolant from dieselgeek, which was basically exactly the right amount of coolant when mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I also recommend that you buy a pin wrench to set the tensioner. The Stahlwille 12717 wrench found at the following link would be what you need:

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp?ACTION=prod&TYPE=&CAT=&SUB=&prod=&Search=12717&PG=3&LowCt=16

Good luck!
Why did you need a pin wrench to set the tensioner

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, bring your tools. Might as well be safe than sorry. Also, whats ur favorite kind of beer?

btw, ive made up my mind and Im going with the dieselgeeks kit.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
dont drink anymore/dieselgeeks kit ah, you will want to pickup at 1.5 liter bottle of pension(sp)(antifreeze) also and some distilled(I believe, will read bottle when I get home) to mix with it

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You might want to compare parts with the prices Richie @ Autobarn can get you, they're OEM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts