Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this sorry.
I currently have a passat b5 was wondering what kind of swap is the best for it which one is cheaper or easier to find. 2.7t 4.2 1.8t W8 whatever idk anything im just new to this i want a sleeper car lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
What's your base car? Is it a 4Mo or just fwd? I can tell you that the W8 is definitely not the best swap. Even though I love it, I'm learning there's not a great deal of aftermarket for it. The 1.8t in my experience is a stout little guy, but the Passat is a big car. IMO, and what I'm looking to do for my wife's B5.5, is the 2.7 twin turbo. Send to be the better choice for easiest power gains.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
I looked at the 2.7T as a swap until I had to actually pull one, break it down and put it back together after repairs. It's a good motor, great low end torque and pretty smooth. It's the easier swap if you already have a V6. I ended up doing a 1.8T swap instead as I wanted better reliability (failed at that initially) and something far easier to work on (got that). The swap itself was a pain as I had to change much more coming from a V6 and I also did a manual swap at the same time.
Here is the 2.7T:
Mikey and I with it pulled apart to the block:

Reason for repair:

Nice and shiny pressed in cylinder liner with new/used piston:

Mostly together, still missing PCV and SAIP as they had to go back on after the engine was in the car:
P1010533.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.7 it is since i already have a v6. My dad is a mechanic and he loves vw and audi’s, and im young trying to learn

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Good luck. You will have traction issues with a FWD and 2.7T, but if it's only stock (250hp) or chipped (300hp) it will be fun to drive.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
No, that was Mike Van Gelder from NJ/NY down for training at Love Field. He was bored and decided to help.

Left to right, Bill1975, Xyro, Jale and Sipes in 2011 at one of my garage days.

A better pic of Sipes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts