Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the posts but nothing turned up. Is there a particluar brand W8ers have found better than stock? Car idles a little rough lately. Had a major serivce done lately (filters, oil, brake fluid, fuel filter) so figured I'd change the plugs too.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the OEM plugs?

Is this a straight forward plug change with swivel head socket wrench?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
NGK Part#: BKR6EKUB which are OE for Volkswagen and don't require any gapping. Essentially these plugs are the same as NGK Part#: BKR6EKUE which require a .032 gap.

I haven't tried the Iridium plugs on my car, but the NGK part number for those would be: BKR6EIX-11 using a .032 gap. Ronnie, let us know how those plugs hold up over the long haul.

My coworker used Bosch spark plugs; Part#: F7HPP222, gapped at .040 on his W8 at the 40,000 mile service.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The Swami said:
NGK Part#: BKR6EKUB which are OE for Volkswagen and don't require any gapping. Essentially these plugs are the same as NGK Part#: BKR6EKUE which require a .032 gap.

I haven't tried the Iridium plugs on my car, but the NGK part number for those would be: BKR6EIX-11 using a .032 gap. Ronnie, let us know how those plugs hold up over the long haul.

My coworker used Bosch spark plugs; Part#: F7HPP222, gapped at .040 on his W8 at the 40,000 mile service.
Any reason why he used a hotter plug & larger gap?

OE gap for the W8 is .031in

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I went to NGK Spark PLugs website and read some info on the iridium plugs. I may give them a try. Hopefully they are the latest and greatest.

Now I just need to pop the hood and see where the plugs are in this beast. Any tips?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any update from the guys using Iridium plugs? At RockAuto.com the OE NGK BKR6EKUE and the iridium's are almost the same price. Any pros/cons to the iridiums?

·
Registered
126 Posts
at 200k I just put NGK Iridium IX in my V8 Titan, and they have been great so far.
And that runs on 87.

/yeah I know its a different beast, but still.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Spark plugs are located underneath the intake manifold. Some disassembly required.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Doh, didn't see that this thread is ancient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
AndreasPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing