Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any consensus on this? I have heard NGK makes the best plug for the money....any recommendations? Does anybody have the exact p/n?

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
It depends on which 1.8T you have. What is your engine code? To determine this, remove the big black plastic cover on top of the engine. On a lifting lug is stamped a three-letter code. Post that here, and we can supply more details.

SirWired

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,516 Posts
For my AUG 1.8T, I used OEM NGK PRF6Q. I haven't researched spark plugs deeply enough to suggest or attempt any substitutions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on which 1.8T you have. What is your engine code? To determine this, remove the big black plastic cover on top of the engine. On a lifting lug is stamped a three-letter code. Post that here, and we can supply more details.

SirWired
SirWired,
Engine Code AEB. it's a '99.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bosch F5DP0R. It is the best plug for turbo charged cars. It is the OEM plug for the UrS4, and the European S2. I run them in every turbo car I work on from Stage 3 APR cars, to K04ed 1.8t and reglar customer cars that are just driven with no mods.

There ore those that will say they cost too much, but I say why use a $2.00 plug that you have to change all the time.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Unless you have funky mods going on, I'd just go with the OEM plug for that engine, the Bosch F7LTCR. They aren't that expensive, they work, and are just fine unless you are really heat stressing your engine with a chip, or other such stuff.

I don't see any reason to mess around with anything else.

SirWired

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Bosch F5DP0R. It is the best plug for turbo charged cars. It is the OEM plug for the UrS4, and the European S2. I run them in every turbo car I work on from Stage 3 APR cars, to K04ed 1.8t and reglar customer cars that are just driven with no mods.

There ore those that will say they cost too much, but I say why use a $2.00 plug that you have to change all the time.
Because the best kind of spark plug is the kind that conducts both heat AND electricity very well, and the only metal that does that is copper.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

So what is a good price and a good place to buy them???

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Take a look at rockauto.com.
Also check around - NAPA, Autozone, Checker, etc.
Sometimes their price is almost as good - especially when you consider shipping, and waiting several days.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts

i'm not one of them. i had them and paid their full price but my car didn't react as well as other plugs i installed. if you have a 1.8t that's highly modified, it might benefit... if not, i say go for ngk's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
im personally a fan of NGK's just because they are cheap and really good with turbo cars. Every car but 2 I've owned were turbo's and in the upper #'s, and honestly Bosch gave it a wierd feel, compared to the NGK's... I "Personally" think that NGK's are just overall durable for their price, but then again, its been a while since I've tried Bosch... maybe they changed :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bosch F7LTCR can be special ordered through CanTire . About $8.50 each a few years ago. They can last100,000 Km in the AEB. Check them at 40,000.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great results from Bosch FR5DTC plugs.

At close to 26k miles from the last time I replaced the plugs... and after noticing misfire at cylinder 2 and slight pinging when running my AEB hard and on hot days at higher RPMs... I decided to change out the F7LTCR plugs with the colder FR5DTC plugs....

Wow... what a difference!!! No misfires detected so far (after 500 miles on the new plugs) ... and the pinging is completely gone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
At close to 26k miles from the last time I replaced the plugs... and after noticing misfire at cylinder 2 and slight pinging when running my AEB hard and on hot days at higher RPMs... I decided to change out the F7LTCR plugs with the colder FR5DTC plugs....

Wow... what a difference!!! No misfires detected so far (after 500 miles on the new plugs) ... and the pinging is completely gone.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
12mpg!?!?!?

i think i need a tune up. i currently get 12mpg. whats all listed for a tune up at the dealer? spark plugs, check brake pads, coolant, filter for airbox, oil change. wut else is there? can anyone tell me why i get 12mpg also? or should this tune-up fix the problem?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts