Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,

All of this talk about HID's and such, I really want to get the OEM's now.

I have an H7 HID conversion Kit in my 2000MY B5, and I love the bright lights, just not the OEM lenses..

My plan is to keep the setup I have now for the Winter months, and have Factory HID's for the summer months..

Who has the best prices for the B5 OEM HID's ?

I have purhcased from AMI Motorsports in Canada in the past, but they seem high in price for the B5 HID kits.

Thanks for any help.

MW

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
why don't you just sell your setup . . . buy the OEM hids and run X-pel on them all year round. After 2.5 years of running xpel on my lights, I removed it due to some scratches & etc on the xpel and the lights were perfect underneath. Its only like $30 and when its applied . . . . its not noticable unless you did a bad job and left air bubbles underneath. Also there was no noticable yellowing / discoloration of the film.

Dave

·
Registered
418 Posts
Question still remains...

Where's the cheapest place to buy Hella HID headlights for the B5? :D

Inquiring minds want to know!

Jason

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,

I will check it out, I believe that our car club gets a discount on some items..I will see if this item will Qualify.

I like my current setup, and have 3m protective film on the lenses. If I buy OEM's I think I will still switch back to the stock lights for Winter.. I am not worried about Rock chips as much as sliding into something hard. So far no accidents on my B5, but I don't want to take any chances with uber expensive Headlights up front.

So far I have 3 cars with HID lights, the Passat is the one that really Deserves them over my Jetta coupe, and my Audi 4000.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pancreas said:
Jetta coupe?

sorry not the famed MK4 Jetta coupe (the VWvortex Project X) it is simply an old MK2 Jetta GL 2 door, turned into a psudo Jetta GLI coupe.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
blakwag said:
Dave, how hard was it to get all the sticky guck off when you removed the xpel?
Sorry didn't see it . . . no dryer needed. Goo gone works fine. I actaully managed to "roll" quite a bit of it off with my fingers. However, The only areas where i had sticky goo was at the edges of the film. Nothing big. Then i just wiped it down with windex and none of the residue remained.

Dave

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I'm trying to get a GB together for these. Need 4 to commit though. Looking at $950 for everything shipped & insured [HIDs, Crystal Clear Corners and Side Markers]. Hopefully I'll have more info this afternoon...

Feeler for B5 HID GB.

·
Registered
486 Posts
B5BAR,

If you have patience and time, monitor the classified thread. Many B5ers are parting out to trade in on new vehicles and often times HIDs are on the list. Also check out vortex classifieds. Right now, used sets should be in the $650 to $700 range.

OTOH - Johnny's price at $950 including clear corners is a hell of a deal, so if you really want new you're not going to finding a better deal. I paid $850 for HIDs and clear corners that were 1 yr old. Dammit Johnny, where were you in December when I got mine :p

Good luck,
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.