Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Passat B6 2.0tdi 140Bhp bkp
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have began the process of switching out the brake master cylinder and booster unit (servo) on my passat.
I have disconnected the pedal, removed the reservoir and I'm left with a servo unit that is too big to simply be pulled out of the gap between the bulkhead and egr valve to the rear and cam-belt directly in front of it.

What is best practice for removal and refitting a new unit?
I am really struggling as to remove the egr would almost certainly involve snapping of bolts etc and removing of cam-belt, well don't really want to have to mess around with that.

Please help :oops::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::cautious:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
wish I could help...I think EGR has to come out , engine same direction as in States but brake "diaphragm" canister on opposite side,ugh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opposite side because we drive on the left and so it's right hand drive.
Would definitely have been an easier job had it been left hand drive however.
Think I've definitely bitten off more than I can chew ??
Last time I had egr out was when getting the turbo reconditioned, and every bolt holding it snapped! Every manifold bolt came no problem but the egr was a nightmare and not a job for doing out the back door without a ramp
It looks more and more to me like it's a engine out job, or at least wriggled forward as far as it can go till I could get the servo replaced??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had an idea, would dropping the left side of the engine create enough space to enable the servo unit and master cylinder to come clear? By removing the gearbox stabiliser strut and offside engine mounting, obviously carefully supporting the engine with a block and jack under the sump?

I'm not sure it would lower and pull forwards enough. It has to be tried i guess lol. At least this way if it works the egr doesn't need removing

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Hey ric, with this site having tons of info on gassers and little on oil-burners, you might also want to check out TDIclub.com for some help with it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What led you to suspect the servo needed replacing?

On the B7 2.0 LHD, the procedure does actually call for lowering the engine somewhat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts