Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 Passat GLX Wagon, after my MK3 Jetta was totaled. I need the hatch lifters, mine are totally shot, and man is that hatch heavy! I am having concerns about cheap lifters from ebay, and I wonder if the ones from VW (about $40 apiece) are the way to go? Any receommendations?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Kent

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is a hatch a hood or a trunk? You can get the gas struts cheap at your local auto store. Online VW parts stores and VW dealers seem to be more expensive for gas struts.

·
Registered
819 Posts
you can check Arizona Autohaus for lift gate struts.
For my 2003 wagon they had Stabilus brand (OEM) for $ 22.86. You get free shipping on $ 75 purchase.
ECS Tuning has the same brand for $ 29.60 if you want them faster.
-
AutoZone seems to have a "Mighty Lift" brand for $ 24.99 - "ship home" deal - but I never heard of it and never bought any support lift from them so to assess quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum - I didn't see the pre-b5 forum.
Thanks for the info, just wasn't sure if aftermarket were as good. I have the wagon BTW.
Kent

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
^^^ No worry, the info is the same, no matter the forum. Auto-zone or Pep Boys struts should serve fine for years to come.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
The car is in great shape for Wisconsin and a 95! Very little rust, some spots to fix - sand and touch up paint. The lift sturts for the hatch are important, I don't want the stick I'm using to go through the plastic or glass!

Also have ordered a new antenna base and Hirschmann antenna from AntennamastsRus.com Great guy and really knows his stuff. If you need the replacement gasket - they've got 'em for $8.95.

After having the 967 Jetta 2.slow, I did think the VR6 would just bust out - but maybe the syncro drive affects that, plus the added weight of the wagon (and driver!).

It is a fun little shifter - took a bit of getting used to - even with a short shift kit on my Jetta!

I'll be looking for ideas on making it a little faster - maybe swiss cheesing the airbox, new plug wires and plugs, etc. Not expecting it to take on a VR6 Jetta, but just have a little more oomph! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information - I ended up buying Stabilus lift supports and they are amazing, one holds up the hatch, but two are just like off the showroom floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts