Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all who appreciate the Passat and wonder about towing...

So here is the story: My wife and I traveled throughout Europe for nearly a year total in 2013 & 2014. We bought a used camper and camped all over; never spent one night in a hotel. Being a VW enthusiast, when we would pull into a campground, my eye tended to be attracted to the VWs... I was amazed at how many various VWs I saw that were being used to tow trailers (caravans in their terms). About four months into our travels, we became good friends with a couple from England and ended up camped in their driveway for several weeks. One evening over diner, I mentioned that I had a 2005 Passat TDI at home and wondered about towing with it. My friend went and fetched his issue of the Camping and Caravanning magazine from July 2013 and showed me the article below and attached. (Apparently, older B-5 equivalent Passats had also faired well in the ratings in prior years.) You will see that, properly equipped, the Passat will tow nearly twice the weight as the tow ratings we see here in the USA. I took several pictures of Passats hooked up to long Caravans and have them tucked away somewhere in my computer. It is frustrating that European technology is frequently not available here.

Passat for Towing.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
28,069 Posts
I never towed with mine, but I've always thought they were best in class anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts