Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
876 Posts
This is what we in the industry call an Obvious Total. Needs roof, sunroof frame, headliner, rear roof header, rear glass, various other interior trim bits..... also, the damage to the left C pillar is significant (and, that is sold as part of the complete side panel only), as well as (minimally) the entire left side panel (if not also the right side, to a lesser extent) has been pulled toward the middle of the car.
I would ballpark it at - minimally - $15,000 in damage.

Can it be repaired? Yes, absolutely. Would it make financial sense to you to pay for it? No. Will your insurance company pay to repair this car? Absolutely not.

Sorry for your loss. I just 'buried' my wagon last month, after someone ran a red light at 40+mph, and clobbered it in the left quarter.

· Registered
325 Posts
Looking through this thread and viewing the pictures you posted, I think any good reputable body shop in your area should be capable to do this job. As folks have previously posted, the insurance will total it. But if you pay for it out of your pocket or negotiate some sort of reduced insurance payment, you probably can keep the same clean title.

I personally from pictures, don't think the damage is not as bad as it seems to be.

A new replacement quarter panel will take care of the C pillar dents. The dent on the roof rail can be pulled out. There is a good chance the C pillars are bent slightly inward, but that can be easily resolved with a jack and proper measurements from the body collision repair manual.

The roof panel replacement and header wouldn't be that hard for an experienced body technician. The issue would be if the shop is willing to install used parts and willing to spend the time breaking down the donor roof correctly for usable pieces.

I went through a similar experience with my own wagon. The car was in great condition and then was t-boned. I had a personal attachment to the car and wanted to fix it instead of it being junked. The other person's insurance company totalled it and I negotiated to keep it. Interesting enough the insurance company never officially totalled it and I still have a clean title for it.

I did the body work myself. I salvaged a B pillar clip because I couldn't find new body parts, bought salvaged doors and used those parts to make the repairs. I documented the repairs on this forum.

If you are going to save this car, I suggest getting on Volkswagen erwin. Pay the $35 day access and download the collision repair manual along with any other B5 repair manuals you want. That way you have an idea of how the repair should be done. Good luck and hopefully you are able to save it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts