Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first oil change on my 2000 1.8T with 57K miles (I bought the car used.) I searched through some previous posts on this topic and found that the 3 concensus picks for motor oil used were: German Castrol 0w-30, Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, and Pentosin 5W-40 Synthetic. Some members who mentioned some of these had a V6. I heard that the 1.8 Turbo heats up oil more. So I'm kind of confused as for which one of these (or if there is something better), would be right for my 1.8T. Also, which Oil filter do you guys recommend? Sorry to beat a dead horse but I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

I bought my car second hand also, and the first thing I did was change the oil to Bardahl 5w40 synthetic. Quietened it down nicely, particularly at startup. It had been filled (by the dealer) with 15w40.

A lot of people reccomend the WIX filters (which I use as well). THere is a monster size one available as well, but I dont ahve the part number to hand.

Cheers,

T.

·
Registered
665 Posts
blaupassat said:
I use Mobil1 5w-30. 5qt jug for $22 at WalMart
Paid $19.77 This morning from WalMart :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guyute, thats what I heard too. For the Turbos, stick with the 5W-40. I guess after searching more, it seems like the Pentosin 5W-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 seems like the best choice for the 1.8T. Also, the Mann and Mahle(sp?) Oil Filters seem like the best since I belive they are OEM quality. I think I will go with the Pentosin 5W-40 since its German. Thanks for the help everybody. Much appreciated! :bow:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I use the Redline 5w-30 and the K&N oil filter...works very nicely, smooth If you want info check on bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I use 5w-30 in my 1.8T.

Would like to use a 5w40, or the 0w40 Mobil1, but have not been able to find them locally (yet - keep looking). I was surprised, the NAPA warehouse nearby does not carry either. Valvoline list the 5-40 Synpower as available only in 55gal size. I am not ready for a 10 year supply.

·
Registered
69 Posts
do you guys recommend just going to the dealer ship i dont mind paying the $$, but as long as it gets done well, place i bought my car, gave me a card that gets $9 oil changes and free car wash (i know the owner got my used passat at cost)
so vw dealership vs other places.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Thx RL
Next time I'll ask to have it ordered.
The guys behind the NAPA counter sure didn't offer that service last Thursday. I got the line 'we dont carry it'

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Thx RL
Next time I'll ask to have it ordered.
The guys behind the NAPA counter sure didn't offer that service last Thursday. I got the line 'we dont carry it'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts