Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to put a shine bar in this weekend and need to find the best drill bit that i can to make the job easier, let me know what is out there i havent bought a drill bit in a few years i bought a set back then but dont wanna burn one up so i figured i'd just buy a few good bits to drill the axle

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
When I did this about ~6-7 years ago, I used three different sizes of cobalt-tipped bit...think I bought them from Lowes.

I made a template of the P&P Motorsports bar from a thin piece of wood to position the pilot holes properly.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Depending on how big the hole is going to be, drill in 2 or 3 steps from small to large. Any good quality bit will work. Center punch or use a template, push firmly and use a very slow speed. High speeds are OK for wood but will burn up a bit in steel.

·
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electron Man about how long did it take to install yours?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
When I did it on my MK4, I used a regular drill bit, nothing special. THe only special thing I used was cutting fluid used for machining. It works a lot better on the faster speeds. The shine bar itself is the template. Get some good clamps to get started. Make sure you drill out the holes on the bar to clear it of paint first, because you'll be using the bolts to support the bar as you drill (in certain stages).

Even though nylok nuts are supplied, imo, a good idea is to use red loctite in addition to securely hold the nut (so it does not back out from vibration loosening).

Just watch out for hot metal chips...they burn

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Cobalt. When I had SRS install my bar at their shop in Walpole, the guy said he went through 3 cobalt bits and it took him about 45 minutes to drill all 8 holes!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
shop in Walpole, the guy said he went through 3 cobalt bits and it took him about 45 minutes to drill all 8 holes
Now there's a guy who has no clue how to drill metal., he'd be the guy I'd want working on my car.

·
15,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
funny thing is they make the best suspension for the passat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts