Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up about the chips for the 1.8t passat and I have come to two chips, and im not sure which one is better. The two chips are by APR and GIAC. The chips would be for a :b5: .5. I want power, both horsepower and torque. I kno that the APR makes around 215 hp and about 245 foot pounds of torque. The GIAC makes about to 225 hp but I cant find how much torque it puts out. So I was wondering which of the two is better for peformance, reliabilty, and quality of product, cost is not a factor. Or if there is a better chip than these two please let me know, and tell me a little about it. The biggest factor is performance, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I have the APR v3.0 with EMCS. I chose this chip because you can switch from stock mode to chipped mode anytime you want using the cruise ctrl stalk. plus the dealer cannot flash the chip. i also got the chip in a spare ecu. the chip gives me good hp and torque through out the power band :wink:

There is a big noticeable difference once you get chipped. you will love it. the power of the chip will put :D on your face for a long time :)

Most people out there are saying that the GIAC is the more aggressive chip compared to APR. some people has even said the APR is more aggressive. so there really isn't an answer to that :)

Both are very good chips. you won't go wrong with either one :wink:

Let us know which one you choose and give us your input on it :thumbup:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
where are you getting your figures? for 93 octane, APR hits 214hp/247lb-ft on the B5.5.

if money is no object, then i'd suggest the APR stage 3 upgrade which hits 280HP. APR seems to be the most popular chip around here.

http://www.goapr.com

·
Registered
696 Posts
DANGGER25 said:
I have been reading up about the chips for the 1.8t passat and I have come to two chips, and im not sure which one is better. The two chips are by APR and GIAC. The chips would be for a :b5: .5. I want power, both horsepower and torque. I kno that the APR makes around 215 hp and about 245 foot pounds of torque. The GIAC makes about to 225 hp but I cant find how much torque it puts out. So I was wondering which of the two is better for peformance, reliabilty, and quality of product, cost is not a factor. Or if there is a better chip than these two please let me know, and tell me a little about it. The biggest factor is performance, thanks for your time.
I have APR and love it, and from what I hear, GIAC is just as good.
So if I were you, I'd get the chip that had a dealer closest to where I lived.

According to their websites:
GIAC 203hp/221ft-lbs
APR 208hp/245ft-lbs
91 octane

http://www.giacusa.com/giac/software.php?car=vw&table_qry=yes&m=vw_18t_passat_software&dbw=1&obd=2&mdl=Passat&title=1.8T 2000+

http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/ecu_upgrade_passat18t.html

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the info, and D.Passat00 I said ABOUT 215 hp, i was off by ONE whole horse power and 2 foot pounds of torque. I think you need to chill out, lol ...... :crazy:

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
thanks for all the info, and D.Passat00 I said ABOUT 215 hp, i was off by ONE whole horse power and 2 foot pounds of torque. I think you need to chill out, lol ......
If you don't want responses like that, try searching old threads and get your information that way. Welcome.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
DANGGER25 said:
thanks for all the info, and D.Passat00 I said ABOUT 215 hp, i was off by ONE whole horse power and 2 foot pounds of torque. I think you need to chill out, lol ...... :crazy:
relax...i was just pointing out the facts...not trying to flame anyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
okay, so i'm new to this too, and I have heard that you can't really expect to chip the car without doing other upgrades, mainly a new transmission, is there any truth to this? will the stock trans hold up under the stress of the extra horses?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
So is it just me or do we see a need for some announcement thread that says "READ ME FIRST" which contains links to our internal or externam writeups on th emost asked questions. This topic long a go was a once a quater topic, then once a month and is not about a once a week thread. The amount of spae this is wasting on int eh db is huge considering this is covered time and again.

In siding with the poster and the responders, the information is not easily accessible, but it is there. We just need to make it more prominent and easier to get to.

Sorry to hijack, but I feel bad for the people posting becuase this is such a common question and there is sooooo much good detailed information buried deep in these forums.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
gietl
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing