Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost ready to do brakes. I can't get in on the GB on rotors since I have the 11' dia rotors. I want better stopping power than stock with low dust and no squeal/noise. My driving style is a daily driver in Seattle rain/intermittant sun. I do a little spirited driving on mountain roads and passing lanes on freeway.
I intend to flush brakelines and replace with super blue fluid, replace rotors with slotted/drilled zimmermans and use PBR ceramic pads. At same time I will do wheel bearings.

Any comments/suggestions on choices of fluids, pads, and/or rotors?

Also where is the best source to buy rotors and pads

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops :) that is pretty big no wonder I couldn't get them on the GB...okay how about 11 INCH!

Sounds like Axxis deluxe plus are widely used and perform great. Anyone use the PBR ceramics?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so ultimates are more dusty than deluxe plus, but how about compared with stock?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
If you have a 99 w/ OEM pads, probably less dusty. Those were the dust KINGS!

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
The PBR/Axxis Ultimates (Kevlar/Ceramic compound) are less dusty than stock but aren't considered a low-dust pad like the Metal Masters or Deluxe-Plus pads.

I'm also running the Axxis Ultimates pads on my W8 and the initial bite is excellent when compared to other pads I've used. I also upgraded my brake-lines and changed my fluid to Ate Type 200 in order to avoid any issues with the dealership.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that gives me a good idea about dust, (yes mine are the dust kings)
I would probably go with the PBR Axxis deluxe plus.

Would the Axxis deluxe plus have a better intitial bite or stopping power than the stock pads? If I change to a better fluid and to the deluxe plus pads, what kind of difference should I feel other than the "new brakes are good" feeling?

and on matching Rotors... Powerslots or Slotted and drilled zimmermans?

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The Deluxe Plus have a lower coefficient of friction than the OEM pads, but they're MUCH more linear. So although you might need to dip into the pedal a little deeper to achieve similar braking, they're a zillion times easier to modulate. So yes, less 'stopping power', but enough to lock your brakes and piss off your ABS at 100 mph if you decide you need to jab the brakes. :p

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are there any other pad options for low dust and better stopping power?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I have the ceramic PBR pads on the rear brakes on my 99 B5 V6. I realize that you are looking for ones for the 1.8T, but if you are looking for better bite along with less dust then YES these are the way to go. They are found at: www.ecstuning.com

I have also heard that carbon fiber brake pads are good too. Alot of race cars use carbon fiber break pads!

Rich :)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
What happened to my post? I posted a reply here this morning?!!?!? :???:

Oh, well. A simple vote for PBR/Axxis Ultimates. A little dusty, but it washes off easily compared to Mintex and Hawk HP+, which sticks to the wheels like glue. But the Ultimates bite and grip and don't fade. Awesome pad - I bet I could use them on the track, but glad I bought the Carbotechs from Jimmy - :wink:

P.S. IIRC carbon-fiber brake pads require carbon-fiber brake discs... very expensive and not suited for street use.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about the ebc greestuff or pads sold on tirerack.com? How would they compare?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I just put on the axxiss delux pads and they seem the same grip as the oem pads, and give off very LITTLE dust, I know I have chrome rims! :thumbup:

So if you dont have custom wheels, or jus dont care about a little brake dust go for the metel masters, you'll get a better braking experience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.