Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks

Looking for the best battery for my 04 V6 All stock as of now. I do have the Monsoon stereo with aftermarket door speakers 100 watts rms IIRC.

I will be adding an additional sub or 2 to power 2 10" woofers at approximately 200 watts rms max!.

I also will be installing an 8 head LED emergency traffic signal light on the back shelf

Recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
I've been using factory VW batteries from the VW dealer. Fits perfectly, connects to hydrogen vent, less expensive than most aftermarket alternatives. Last one lasted eight years; I usually just replace them at five years regardless.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Historically I've always bought the longest warranty battery from the cheapest place for all vehicles, advance auto has 20% off purchases on their website all the time and bank of America has 10% cash back rewards with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have same year and model vw, replaced battery twice. Only use AGC type which are hard to find and $$$, but stand up to heavy use. You might find an old tech battery cheaper at dealer source. Last battery was from Adv Auto Parts 3 years ago. Had to jigger it a little to fit, but happy with it. Brand names mean little anymore, and specs can be misleading. Get the most expensive one that fits.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Factory battery or an Interstate battery. Have never had either one fail before it's life expectancy. Matter of fact, they've all gone beyond the life expectancy, by years even.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
What alternator do you have? IIRC, the GLS had a 90A even with a V6, while the GLX got the 120A.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
What alternator do you have? IIRC, the GLS had a 90A even with a V6, while the GLX got the 120A.
Some of the GLS's came with 120A. Mine did anyway. The original alternator even had air cooling duct to it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
Some of the GLS's came with 120A. Mine did anyway. The original alternator even had air cooling duct to it.
Good to know. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I saw a 2.8 with a 90A on one of my parts scavenging trips to the junk yard....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not sure which one it is.

How would I check other than looking for a sticker or model # on it?

I would assume it's the 120 since it's the GLX and has more electrical options then the GLS but you know what assuming does LOL

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
I am very hard on batteries in my A4, because I drive it once, sometimes twice, per week. I just replaced a Napa battery that was just over 3 years old and showing (expected) signs of sulfonation. I have thought about trickle charging, which lead-acid batteries like, but still looking for a one I can plug into the 12V receptacle (assuming it stays powered when the ignition is off -- the Passat wagon at least has two always-live 12V receptacles in the wayback).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am very hard on batteries in my A4, because I drive it once, sometimes twice, per week. I just replaced a Napa battery that was just over 3 years old and showing (expected) signs of sulfonation. I have thought about trickle charging, which lead-acid batteries like, but still looking for a one I can plug into the 12V receptacle (assuming it stays powered when the ignition is off -- the Passat wagon at least has two always-live 12V receptacles in the wayback).
Ever consider a solar trickle charger? I picked one up for under $20 on Amazon and ran the wires with it from my battery onto my dash and just left it there forever.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have thought about trickle charging, but still looking for a one I can plug into the 12V receptacle (assuming it stays powered when the ignition is off -- the Passat wagon at least has two always-live 12V receptacles in the wayback).
I would look more into the kind that plugs into the receptacle. I have read a few different times that feeding power into the car this way could potentially damage some electronics. Not sure what damage was done.

I would do what Jeremiah.levy did and run a solar trickle charger from the batt and leave the panel on the dash. Assuming you don't park it in a garage. If that is the case they do sell trickle chargers that you can wire up to the batt. and it is a simple plug that comes out the grill or where ever you want to run it

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got a battery from the dealer. Using the VIN I have the 120 amp alt.

Question is.....

I think the old batt had a vent pipe on it when I bought the car a few years ago but immediately had to replace the battery. I seem to recall it did have a vent tube but didn't need it for the replacement batt so I took it out.

This new factory battery has a plug in the vent. Do I need to pull it out and connect a new vent tube too it?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
NEED to? Probably not. Most cars do fine without the vent tube, and the flammable hydrogen gas causes no problems. However... VW isn't in the business of spending money to put unnecessary parts on their cars. When I got my 2000, it had a DieHard in it, and the vent tube was missing. I spent a few bucks at the dealer to restore it.

In the future, perhaps you shouldn't remove and discard parts because they don't seem to be of immediate use (GRIN).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Whatever brand my next battery will be, I will buy one that has the lift strap on it. Don't want to risk dropping it on those heater core tubes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts