Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Sumitomo HTR+ the best bet under $100 each, or is there a better option.

Dunlop Sport 9090s came on my wheels, so I'm accustomed to having an extremely sticky but a bit uncomfortable ride (with KW V1 coilovers). A softer sidewall might give me back some comfort.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a search and could not find any dealer selling the Proxes 4 for $100.00 each. The Sumotomo HTR+ are available from the Tire Rack for $76.00 each and the Kumho ASX are $90.00 each.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough. The size I need is 225/45-17

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
oh yah they have the toyo's at big o tires for 109.99 it's cheaper than paying 82 and then shipping......well almost the same and there's one in indianapolis (317)334-9999

heheh i have my big o map right next to the computer since i jsut got the tires :p

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info (I missed your first post.)

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
baisee00 said:
oh yah they have the toyo's at big o tires for 109.99 it's cheaper than paying 82 and then shipping......well almost the same and there's one in indianapolis (317)334-9999

heheh i have my big o map right next to the computer since i jsut got the tires :p
i've noticed that big-o varies in prices from region to region . . . .

www.tireswap.com and www.treadepot.com are also good places to get the proxes 4.

Indy, don't get the HTR+. . . . . WORST tires i've ever owned. I could go on and on and on about them for days.

Dave

·
Registered
486 Posts
I agree with RL331. I have the Proxes 4 and love the handling improvement.

However, I did switch over from stock Michelins and they are louder than the Michelins. I've only had them a week, so I'm still breaking them in. The loudness is nothing to complain about, but something I noticed immediately. I mainly hear them when I'm in the 60 -80mph range. This is my first UHPAS tire, so I have nothing to base them on, however everyone talks about how quiet they are. Is the quiet factor in relation to other UHPAS tires?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
They do have a unique hum to them but it is definitely not loud - I have heard some Yoko's that are incredibly loud. They are also very new, mine are not as loud as they were when they were first put on. It is nothing really to complain about though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks RL331. You hit it right on the head - a unique hum. I just wanted to make sure I was hearing the correct sound. I do love 'em - great tire.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. Why have a nice, not cheap, german ride, obviously with aftermarket rims, then skimp on the only part that actually touches the ground? I know money is always an issue, but tires are the place I would recommend to get the best you can. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Plasticar said:
Pardon my ignorance. Why have a nice, not cheap, german ride, obviously with aftermarket rims, then skimp on the only part that actually touches the ground? I know money is always an issue, but tires are the place I would recommend to get the best you can. Just my $0.02
So apparently a $200 touring tire is better than a $100 UHPAS tire?

More $$$ does NOT equal better tires . . . . some of the worst tires cost the most.

Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.