Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Haynes says 30 ft. lbs then 90 deg. in step 2, and 90 more deg. in step 3. Is this consistent with the Bentley?

Also, the Haynes doesn't have any tensioning procedures for the new style tensioner for the AEB. Do you simply pull the pin and torque the bolt down?

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is exactly what it said as far as torque values. It also lists a specific sequence for the order of the bolts to tighten. I can give you that if you need.
- Tighten cylinder head in following tightening sequence:
- Pretighten all bolts to 40 Nm.
- Then tighten all bolts to 60 Nm.
- Then tighten all bolts 1/4 turn (90) further using a rigid wrench.
- Then tighten all bolts again 1/4 turn (90) further.

This was all I could find about the tensioner that mentioned anything about a pin. If you are talking about the toothed belt, then there are a lot more instructions, but I didn't see anything about a pin. I wasn't exactly sure what you were looking for so I just copied and pasted. If you meant the toothed belt, let me know and I'll get that for you. If you do need the toothed belt, there are actually two sets of instructions, it doesn't specify how to tell which one you need, it just has one set, then another for "later version tensioner with larger diameter pulley."
Ribbed belt, removing and installing
special tools and equipment: Pin 3204
Removing
- Bring lock carrier into service position
- To loosen ribbed belt turn tensioning element in direction of arrow.
- Lock tensioning device with pin 3204.
- Remove or install ribbed belt.
Note:
When installing the ribbed belt make sure that it sits correctly in the pulleys.
- Start engine and check belt running.

Hope this helps
Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't re-use the bolts

Those torque specs look like they're for stretch bolts. Remember to get new bolts. You can't re-use the old ones.

--rick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ryan, Rick,

Thanks for the replies. I've got new bolts, thanks for the tip. The procedure I need for the tensioner is for the toothed timing belt itself. The new style tensioner doesn't use the ball and socket as the old style, which is all the Haynes has the tensioning instructions for.

Thanks again,
Tim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts