Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bentley manual and vag-com usb just arrived, and i noticed that there only seems to be one service interval page in the manual, and its for the 1.8l. does the w8 use the same service intervals? if not, where can i find them?

thanks...
...j

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Did you get the "Big Blue Passat" Bentley manual - Stock No. VP04?
If so, look at Section A-88: "2002-2004 Maintenance Schedule, 4.0 liter"
That is where you will find the information that you need.
Always use the correct maintenance schedule for your engine - also check with the dealer service department - things do change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses.

i got the cd-rom, not the book, and i'm still not able to find the page stewart mentioned... but i did check out the vw.com pages. i can see that the service intervals are mostly the same for all the b5 engines, but the w8 appears to have no timing belt (and thus no tb service).

i thought the w8 didn't have a tb - the cutaways i've seen of the engine appear to use a timing chain. but i just wanted to confirm... no timing belt, and thus no scheduled service that requires major disassembly - right?

...j

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hopefully not!
In order to "shorten" the engine, they went to rear mounted timing chains (4 or 6? of them) which are thinner front to back than a belt. Chain also lasts WAY longer than any belt. The only problem arises should the cam chain tensioner fail on either bank.
Then the engine has to be pulled to perform the work - they usually do both banks when it's out.
Hope that didn't scare you!
Oil & oil filter changes are every 10k miles for W8 rather than 5k for the 1.8T and 2.8 V6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts