Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God damn Texan Bi-Polar weather....48 hours ago it was god damn 74*F....now its a blizzard outside at 24*F.......
Had to get to classes today for exams and drove about 5 miles with a bunch of snow and ice in the middle of the road grinding against my undercarriage.
It hurt listening to the sound. :cry:

Anyways after I got back I took a quick peak at the undercarriage and I see these 2 pieces, which I believe are part of the suspension, bent down.
What part is that and how much (work and parts) is it to replace it?
Not very familiar with the suspension of the B5.5 so I would guess some kind of a balance / sway bar maybe?
But sway bars are connected to the individual wheel suspension so again I don't know.
IMG_20131206_161238_863.jpg

Have major exams right now and its a bad time to worry about the car. :mad:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Belly pan support. Bend it back or get a replacement. And get a belly pan. It will protect your engine a bit, hold your wheel liners in place, and make you more aero so you'll drop .10 seconds off your next 0-60.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car is getting lowered soon by 1 1/2 inches soon.
Can I just unbolt and removed the support bracket?

@ birdman - haha does it really affect aerodynamic that much?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was making a joke...but it does have an effect. Airflow under the car is definitely improved with the pan in place. Which means less drag which means you go faster. As to how many tenths or hundredths that would equate to on the track I can't say

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was making a joke...but it does have an effect. Airflow under the car is definitely improved with the pan in place. Which means less drag which means you go faster. As to how many tenths or hundredths that would equate to on the track I can't say
thought so haha - you made it sound like you did it and timed it yourself
do you know if I can just unbolt the support till I get a new bely pan?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
thought so haha - you made it sound like you did it and timed it yourself
do you know if I can just unbolt the support till I get a new bely pan?
Yes, the bracket is held in place with two M6 bolts. Lower the car and your oil pan will be next. Better invest in the Thor plate before you plan on lowering the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do it. I cracked my oil pan the first year I had my b5 just backing out of the shop.... and I'm not lowered at all. The circumstances were a bit of a fluke, but I sure learned my lesson. I've currently got a DIY re-purposed aluminum street sign doing duty as my belly, and it made a noticable difference in the engine and wind noise, as well as providing me with a bit of peace of mind, especially in ice and snow. That motor cost me something like $5K.... a belly pan is nothing.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I believe B5s are only 4 inches above the ground. Bobby not that you have lowered your car but in general I don't understand the logic of lowering a car that is already low enough.
Do it. I cracked my oil pan the first year I had my b5 just backing out of the shop.... and I'm not lowered at all. The circumstances were a bit of a fluke, but I sure learned my lesson. I've currently got a DIY re-purposed aluminum street sign doing duty as my belly, and it made a noticable difference in the engine and wind noise, as well as providing me with a bit of peace of mind, especially in ice and snow. That motor cost me something like $5K.... a belly pan is nothing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm ok I just put on a belly pan from my dads Passat and it made no difference after 5 0-60 runs.
Car makes a little more wind noise on the highway too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not Suspension.
Sorry, couldn't think of the name of it. But yes, as mentioned its the mounting point for the back of the belly pan.

I second getting a belly pan. Reduces drag, engine noise, and keeps engine bay clean. Also if you drive over any broken off branches (glad I had mine when i drove over a broken branch i thought i would clear) it will provide some protection.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You Texans are wimps. Drive through snow once and think your car is totaled, lol. :p But really, nothing to worry about. Getting a belly pan doesn't really help protect anything (unless you get a thor skid plate or similar), but it does help with aerodynamics, quiets some things, and helps keep the engine bay a bit cleaner. My GTI I ditched mine and in a real winter storm I drove through snow so deep it eventually literally filled up the engine bay and jammed my shifter linkage. After that I told myself I'm never driving without one, and it's been amazing how much a little piece of plastic can help with little things.

Edit, just read where you said it makes MORE wind noise with it on. Are you sure everything is connected right? There 3 points on that bracket that bent, some in the front, and some in the wheel wells. If the wheel well ones aren't connected then your fender liners will flap around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts