Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a '99, 1.8 - The front most fastening point is a one-use nylon nut - 10mm - that threads onto a stud. The stud is pressed through a carrier that extends vertically up to the hood latch mechanism, bolted with a torx nut to the latch housing. Strangest thing. The rear of the pan is attached with three speed screw, the front with two speed screws on the front, outside edges. But my center stud is shot. Actually was Dremelled with a cot-off wheel (Thank you Firestone; the 7/16th nut should have been a tip off that you cross threaded the bugger).

For the life of me, through my entire Bentley CD, 1stVWparts.com, etc. I cannot find a picture or name of the part that has the stud pressed into it, that attaches about 18" vertically to the back of the hood latch mechanism.

Anyone know a PN? Name? Leave it to the Germans to have a piece like this just to fasten the front of the belly pan.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Mine was also destroyed by previous owners. I replaced it with stainless fasteners from the hardware store. I forget exactly what I used, but it's not too tricky to come up with a combination of parts that will work.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. You are correct. I could just drill out the flush-cut stud and replace with the proper 1/2" bolt. But I still want to know what the PN of this piece is. If I can't get a PN then I may just do as you suggest.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Köszönöm hu vw.

That's it! $28 USD for a radius rod. It is under the radiator support section of ETKA. Thanks also Matt. No thanks to VW. Why it is called a "radius rod" I'll never know.

Now the question is whether the radius rod has a stud protruding from the bottom. That's critical since you can't just drill out the old stud and R/R with a bolt... There's no way, once the pan is situtated, that you can get to the bolt head with a wrench so the bolt doesn't turn when fastening with the nylon 10mm stop nut.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Köszönöm hu vw.

That's it! $28 USD for a radius rod. It is under the radiator support section of ETKA. Thanks also Matt. No thanks to VW. Why it is called a "radius rod" I'll never know.

Now the question is whether the radius rod has a stud protruding from the bottom. That's critical since you can't just drill out the old stud and R/R with a bolt... There's no way, once the pan is situtated, that you can get to the bolt head with a wrench so the bolt doesn't turn when fastening with the nylon 10mm stop nut.
I overtorqued mine a while back and broke the rivnut loose. I removed the rod, drilled out the stripped bits and replaced it with an identical thread pitch (but longer) Allen head screw. To make sure it wasn't going to break loose and spin, I used 2 star washers, 1 nylock nut, a liberal amount of red locktite and as much torque as I felt was safe to tighten the fasteners together. It's been well over a year with several (Thor) pan removals and all is good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts