Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks.
Did not want to start a new topic. But where can I buy a new Belly Pan? 99-V6.
I called Drewparts and it was $194. I have bought it for $125 in Oct 2002 but I dont remember where I bought it. The receipt I have says ADIRONDACK autobrokers. But the phone number mentioned on it is not valid anymore. Any other places?

Had work done on the car last week. Today driving on the freeway @ 70 MPH the belly pan came off from the front side and started scraping the ground. I could not get to the rear side bolts which are still intact and had to let it scrape untill I could safely pull off the freeway. I know its the dealer's fault as they did engine oil leak work on friday and also did an oil change. Do you think the dealer will cover this work or will I have to pay for it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had mine come off after a dealer visit too. I took it back, explained the situation to them, and they replaced it with a brand new one!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Make them pay for it, they obviously didn't replace all the clips and fasteners. Treat them like the idiots they are :lol:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The funniest thing is I work at one of the BIG THREE's. Since I have a friend in the workshop I drove my VW in the Workshop on the haudralic lift to remove the rear bolts on the belly pan to get it off. :roll: THE UAW guys were looking at me with a :shock: .

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
SAME HERE, I was going at least 65 when it blew off and began shoveling the road. Pulled over and put it back up.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have already replaced it once and now I am wondering myself that if I can tie down the wheel well liners can I get rid of this belly pan for ever. I know it protects the oil pan (if at all) but other than some noise and dirt does this pan have any value? Its more of a pain in the A$$ kind of part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
when the stealership did my oil change the same thing happened. They said they would replace it for $250 bucks. I was told that it was not their fault. Complained to service manager he said it wasn't his problem. I no longer go to the dealership...Complained to VWOA they did nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same thing happen. They gave me a 5 dollar coupon for my next oil change. I also scooped up a dead squirrel that was on the road; took a while for the smell to go away. :mad:

It just wasn't my day.

I've been riding without the pan for about a year now.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I've been riding without the pan for about a year now
:nervous: Do you have any wheel liner's left or just large brake ducts now? While it may only be 1/4" of plastic separating my oil pan from damage, I have to think it is worth something.

If it did not serve a purpose why put it there in the first place?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think the belly pan is also there to help keep some of the grime out of the lower engine area.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Re: Belly pan broke @ 70 MPH. Dealer fault :mad: :mad:

sameero said:
Had work done on the car last week. Today driving on the freeway @ 70 MPH the belly pan came off from the front side and started scraping the ground. I could not get to the rear side bolts which are still intact and had to let it scrape untill I could safely pull off the freeway. I know its the dealer's fault as they did engine oil leak work on friday and also did an oil change. Do you think the dealer will cover this work or will I have to pay for it?
Let me guess....
Sounds like Troy Suburban high quality job?? Am i right??

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t want to name the dealership. After a long 45 min argument with the service advisor and service manager they said they will pay for half of it. Their way out was that the noted on my 5 page invoice that 3 bolts were missing from the belly pan and that it was slightly damaged. He said since they documented it, it is not their fault. I defended saying they should have told me about it before I drove the car out and that I would have paid $3 for the 3 bolts rather than destroying a $150 pan. The service advisor was quite rude and before I said anything his words were “we are not paying for the belly pan”. When I said it was his mistake he said “ his mistake was that he waited on me”. I mean how rude can you get? :mad: :mad:

Anyway I am going to buy the pan from Drewparts or Ecstuning. Any one knows a better place than that? Last time I bough it for $125. I think it was Drewparts but I don’t remember.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
So the dealer pay's half, which means they pay nothing and don't actually have to fork over any cash...

A common and insulting 'solution' in my opinion.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Sharky said:
Ya, don't tell them about that curb you drove up and over 20 minutes before it fell off...
Sharky, this is a common problem - the dealer techs either don't know or don't take the time to figure out that the front Dzus fasteners are longer than the rear Dzus fasteners. They get them switched, and the fasteners fall out. My dealer switched mine twice. The pan never fell off, but I lost my fasteners. After the realization of what was happening, I always take my belly pan OFF before I take the car to the dealer.

Now of course you are the exception, but most techs aren't like you. Too bad - VW would benefit... as it is, the dealers are saving pennies by not making these things right, and losing dollars down the road because people don't come back. They are shooting themselves in the foot, and they don't even seem to care. These are basic, simple business principles that have been around for decades - "The customer is always right" - WTF??? I just don't get it.

pass-variant said:
So the dealer pay's half, which means they pay nothing and don't actually have to fork over any cash...

Amen.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My belly pan is pretty thrashed and of course, the stealership mechs. "forgot" to replace some of the holding screws. Anybody know the part # for the (B5) pan and if the screws are included?

Thanks,
mike

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pass-variant said:

Well the service manager agreed to pay half the service advisor went and got a price quote which said the pan was $262. So I told him I will buy it from outside for about $150 and he agreed to pay half of it. So no I did not let them rip me off again.

00SilverGLX Dont buy the pan from the dealer. Buy it from outside and you have to buy the retainers seperately. Check Www.drewparts.com
or www.ecstuning.com

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is when it is good to know how small claims court works! I ran into a lot of this shit at Transocean VW in Pasadena. They tried to pull this on me when they broke my headlight and refused to pay for it. So I just went to the CA small claims website and company owner locator website and told Transocean I already had the paperwork printed out and ready to sue the owner of the dealership and the judge would figure out who was to blame...

Then they gave me a brand new headlight assmebly, no more BS! :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
18 Participants
sameero
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing