Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your guys help deciding whether I should replace my belly pan or leave things "naked." I was driving down the highway at night and the front end of my belly pan (2000 passat varient) started to drag on the pavement. Have no idea how this happened...maybe the mechanic didn't put the fasters back on when I got my last oil change??? Anyway, to make a long story short: after repeatedly duct taping the thing back on so I could limp home, I hit a bots dot in the road and the thing disentegrated.

After looking at the damage, I can see that both front fender liners (where the front of belly pan fastens into the car) has rips where the fasters used to be. What would you guys do? Replace the belly pan and get new fender liners, or let it be and hope I don't hit something that could shear off my oil pan?

Thanks in advance!

G

·
Stack it neatly so that the garbage man does not cut himself on the sharp edge's, then get some screws and lock down those loose wheel wells. :lol:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Go to junkyard and get the pan and the liners. The liners will develop inverted V holes in front of the liner if you don't secure them. Ask me how I know. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had a full diagnostic done on my car and they shop said that my bellypan is cracked (from the place that did my last oil change or the dealer).

A whole new belly pan is $160 but doesn't take long to install.

I've noticed over time that the plastic screws that hold the little side piece on to the fender wells either fall off or are not put on by service techs. I've bought about 10 of them (little plastic screws) at like $4 ea.

I asked my service place (notice not the dealer) where I now take my car if its OK to drive without it and they said you could but the protection it provides to the engine components will probably save you more than $160 in repairs down the road.

·
Registered
358 Posts
anyone have the part #s for the pan and the screws separately?

my service station forgot to put the 4 screws that go in the holes where it goes up into the wheel well. They're replacing them...eventually. Are they the same screws as the ones that are under the car? I'm tempted to buy a few and keep them in my glove box just in case, just can't find the part number or find them listed on any of the vw parts sites.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Replace it. really you must.
I drove around for a while without my belly pan, bottomed out on a frost heave and broke my tranny fluid pan. $800 plus the new belly pan, a flat bed tow, and lots of headaches :poke:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.